Easy Pretzel Bites are made with store bought pizza crust dough and can be made in 30 minutes. They are soft and delicious and perfect for a quick snack!
This recipe makes about 25-30 pretzel bites in 30 minutes!
Done in 30 Minutes
How can you have the best soft pretzel bites done and ready to eat in 30 minutes? You use pizza crust dough!
I think they are even better than my Homemade Pretzel Bites and they are so much easier to make! (If you insist on making them from scratch use my Homemade Recipe).
All you need for these Pizza Crust Dough Pretzel Bites is a refrigerated roll of pizza crust dough, baking soda with boiling water, an egg for an egg wash, butter and coarse salt!
They are easy to make and so insanely delicious!
Store Bought Pizza Crust Dough
Any brand of Pizza Crust Dough will work. I have found that I prefer Pillsbury Brand. The texture is perfect for soft pretzel and it doesn’t have a weird processed taste like some of the store bought refrigerated doughs.
All you have to do is open up the can, and take out the sheet of dough.
DO NOT DIVIDE THE DOUGH WHERE IT HAS THE PRE-CUTS IN IT…LEAVE THE DOUGH IN ONE PIECE/BIG SHEET.
Cut the dough (I use my pizza cutter) into 4 large pieces lengthwise.
I cut the dough first drown the middle.
Then I cut each half in half again leaving me with 4 equal pieces.
Next, take each piece of dough and pinch the long sides together to make a long snake of dough.
Now that you have 4 long pieces of pretzel dough you will cut them into pieces. Cut them as big or as little as you like. I usually cut mine into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces (not an exact measurement but close).
As you cut the pieces of dough they may come un-rolled. Just pinch them back together.
Baking Soda Water Bath
Pretzels are usually dunked in boiling soda water. There is a scientific explanation about PH levels of the dough when it’s boiled in soda water but the simple reason is this: it gives the pretzels a darker top and also gives it a chewy texture so it’s not just plain bread bites.
Before you dunk your pretzels, you will need some paper towels or a clean kitchen towel to place the fresh boiled pretzel bites on it after they have boiled. This will help soak up some of the extra baking soda water.
I line a baking sheet with paper towels just so I have plenty of space for the pretzel bites.
Do not stack them on top of each other when they come out of the water.
Dunking the pretzels in the boiling baking soda water is optional but it makes the pretzel bites yummy and sets them a part from just being plain bread bites.
Boil you water and baking soda.
Take the pretzel bites and drop as many as you can fit in the pot without it being overcrowded. I can get mine dunked in about 2 batches.
Let the pretzel bites boil for about 30 seconds. They will seem like they are super soggy and ruined but they are not. This is normal!
Take out the pretzel bites with a slotted spoon and place them on the paper towels. Finish boiling all of the bites and place them on paper towels.
Egg Wash for the Top of the Pretzel Bites
After the pretzel bites have all been dunked, you will need to brush them with an egg wash. This will help the tops of the pretzel bites brown just a bite more on top.
To make an egg wash bath you need one egg yolk and one tablespoon of cold water whisked together.
Brush the tops of the pretzel bites with egg wash.
I like to brush the pretzel bites with the egg wash while they are still on the paper towels. I prefer this because excess egg will drip down the sides of the pretzel and I like the paper towels to soak it up.
Take the pretzel bites (after you have brushed them all with the egg wash) and line them up on a parchment paper lined baking sheet or greased baking sheet.
Be careful taking them off of the paper towels, they can be a bit sticky.
Baking Easy Pretzel Bites
Before the pretzel bites go into the oven sprinkle coarse kosher salt on the tops of them.
Table salt will not work. You want the coarse salt that will not dissolve on top of the pretzels. See below the Coarse Kosher Salt I use.
Once all of the pretzel bites are sprinkled with coarse salt they are ready to bake.
Bake your pretzel bites for about 8-10 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Then turn your oven up to broil for 1 to 2 minutes if you want the tops even more golden brown. (This is optional – watch them closely if you do this).
NOTE: Some of the pretzel bites may pop open…this is ok! They are still delicious!
Once they are out of the oven, brush the tops with melted butter.
Serve the pretzel bites with nacho cheese, pizza sauce or any other dipping sauce you like!
Other Flavors for Pretzel Bites
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites are delicious. Make the pretzel bites the same but do not sprinkle them with kosher salt. Brush them with the egg wash and then they bake-no salt added to the tops! After they have baked toss the bites in melted bitter and then roll the buttery bites in a cinnmon sugar mixture. Make my Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting for dipping!
Garlic Parmesan Bites are delicious. Make the pretzel bites the same as this recipe states. When they are out of the oven brush them with butter and then sprinkle them with a mixture of garlic salt, garlic powder and the bottled parmesan cheese.
If you want homemade pretzel bites, try my Homemade Pretzel Bite recipe. You just use a water bottle with the soda water in it to spray the bites.
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
- Oven Baked Tacos
- Easy Taco Meat
- Pizza Stuffed Rolls
- Apple Spice Sheet Cake
- Raspberry Sweet Rolls
Easy Pretzel Bites (made from Pizza Crust Dough)
- 1 roll/can (13.8 oz.) Pizza Crust Dough *in the refrigerated section
Boiling Baking Soda Water
- 2 quarts Boiling water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk (yolk only)
- 1 tbsp cold water
Pretzel Toppings (for baking and after baking)
- kosher salt/coarse salt *for sprinkling on after the egg wash BEFORE baking
- 2 tbsp butter, melted *for brushing on after baking – use more as needed but 2 tbsp is usually plenty
- Preheat your oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease a baking sheet.Prepare a separate baking sheet- line it with paper towels. A large plate will work also. You will use this to place the boiled pretzel bites on after they come out of the boiling baking soda water.
The Pretzel Bites from the Pizza Crust Dough
- Open the pizza crust dough. Do not separate the dough on the pre-cut lines. Keep it one big piece/sheet of dough. Cut the dough into four long, equal strips (lengthwise – see photos above).Take each piece and fold up the sides lengthwise pinching it together, making a long piece of dough. Do this to all 4 long pieces of dough.Cut the dough into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces (or bigger if you want them bigger).
Baking Soda Boiling Water
- Using a large stock pot, add your baking soda to the 2 quarts of water and bring it to a boil.Drop the pretzel bites in the boiling water with baking soda. Do not overcrowd the pretzel bites. You will probably need to do this in batches.Let the pretzel bites boil for about 30 seconds and take them out of the water with a slotted spoon. Place the wet pretzel bites on the paper towels, in a single layer. They will look mushy and gooey – that is how they are supposed to look. Repeat until all of the pretzels bites have been boiled in the baking soda water.
- Prepare your egg wash with the egg yolk and cold water, whisking the egg yolk and cold water together. While the pretzel bites are on the paper towels, brush the egg wash on top of each pretzel bite. Transfer the preztel bites to your baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Be careful – some of the bites may tend to stick to the paper towels, just peel them off the best you can. It is ok if the pretzel bites are close together.Sprinkle the kosher/coarse salt on top of the egg wash on the pretzel bites.
Baking the Pretzel Bites
- Bake the pretzel bites at 400℉ on the center rack/middle of the oven for about 8 minutes. Then, set your oven to broil and let them brown on the tops just a bit more until they are golden brown, or to your liking. Brush the tops with the melted butter immediately after they are out of the oven!
Serving the Pretzel Bites
- Serve your pretzel bites warm, straight out of the oven. Serve them with marinara sauce, nacho cheese, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, Alfredo sauce or any dipping sauce you like.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and should only be used as an approximation.