Happy National Grilled Cheese Day! Who knew?!!!
With 3 growing boys, there is one thing we love at our house and that is Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
Seeing as how it’s a day to celebrate I figured I would kick it up a notch and make the best most melty, cheesy grilled sandwich ever!
It’s super easy! You need your bread of choice, (I like a thicker slice of white bread), some butter, some garlic salt, a slice of American cheese (the kraft deli style is delicious….not getting paid), and a slice of provolone cheese, and some warm macaroni and cheese! YUM!!
The macaroni I use is Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, but any macaroni works! So I like the stronger cheesy flavor of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Homemade mac and cheese tends to have a more mild lighter cheesy taste (but works great too). Macaroni with smaller noodles will work better for the sandwich giving it more per bite and will stay in the sandwich better. But feel free to use any kind of macaroni.
I use a slice of Provolone and a slice of American cheese for good reason! The American cheese with the Mac n Cheese is just a little one note in flavor to me . It’s delicious but the provolone adds a sharp taste to it that is perfectly matched with the smooth and creamy taste of the American and Mac N Cheese. The cheeses with the bit of garlic salt and butter is melt-in-your-mouth good!! A bit cheesy a bit garlicky and really good!!!
Heat your skillet on medium heat, then turn down to down to medium low!
I butter each slice of bread on one side then sprinkle lightly with the garlic salt. Add your slice of provolone to one slice of bread, right on top of the spread butter, then add the American cheese to the other buttered slice of bread, right on the butter. Top one side with the macaroni and cheese, then put the other slice of bread with cheese on top of the macaroni and cheese.
Spread some butter on the top of the sandwich, then place the buttered side down on the warm skillet. Butter the slice of bread that should now be facing up on the skillet.
Check the side that is cooking and when it’s toasted to your liking, carefully flip the sandwich making sure the Mac n cheese doesn’t fall out! (If it does, shove it back in the middle).
Finish cooking until both sides are toasted to your liking!
Grilled Mac N’ Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices bread (I prefer thick cut white bread)
- 1 slice American Cheese
- 1 slice Provolone Cheese
- 1/3 cup warm, Macaroni and Cheese
- 1-2 tbsp butter, softened for spreading
- pinch of garlic salt for seasoning
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt.
- Place your American Cheese on one buttered slice of bread (so the butter is covered).
- Place your Provolone Cheese on the other buttered slice of bread (so the butter is covered).
- Top one of the slices of bread and cheese with the warm macaroni and cheese.
- Place the other slice of bread with cheese on top of the macaroni, creating a sandwich.
- Butter the top of the sandwich that is facing up. Place butter side down in your warmed skillet.
- After you place the buttered side of the sandwich on the skillet, butter the other side that is now facing up.
- Check the side that is toasting in the pan and flip the sandwich when it reaches the prefect toastiness (totally up to you). If any mac n cheese falls out, shove it back in the center.
- After flipping, watch the side that is cooking (it will cook fast). When it reaches your desired toastiness, remove from heat, remove the sandwich from the pan (carefully) and enjoy!