Air Fryer Chicken Strips are made from scratch, and are crispy crunchy and delicious without frying!
I love my air fryer! It is nothing fancy! No rotisserie option, no trays to fry multiple things. Just a basket that works perfectly for crips air fried food!
We usually just toss in frozen food like nuggets, fries, tater tots and mozzarella sticks. But I figured why not try some homemade chicken tenders in the air fryer!
I tried chicken tenders in the air fryer and they turned out super delicious! Crispy, crunchy, juicy and so freaking good! My boys loved them!
The Breading on Air Fryer Chicken Strips
For this breading it is very similar to my Homemade Chicken Nuggets. I use flour, cornstarch, seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
This breading makes the best crunchy, crispy breading for chicken. Both flour and cornstarch are used to make it a thicker breading that sticks!
The seasonings can be adjusted to your liking. Just taste the flour (it sounds weird-but do it) as you add the seasonings. Just use a pinch to taste and then adjust as needed.
Note that the flour mixture will need to be seasoned enough that once on the chicken the flavor will not be too bland. When seasoning my flour for breading I always make it a touch saltier than I think is the right amount. Then I know it will be perfect once added to the chicken which will soak up some of the flavor making it not so salty.
Making The Air Fryer Chicken Strips
You will need 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips. The size of the strips is up to you!
Next you will mix your flour, cornstarch and seasonings in a large bowl.
In another large bowl, add your eggs and some season salt. Beat your eggs.
Then working in batches, take your chicken strips and dip them in the egg mixture, then into the flour breading mixture. I use a paper plate that can be tossed to put the breaded chicken strips on after breading them.
Bring on the Air Fryer
Now for the Air Fryer! Every air fryer is different I am sure! My Air Fryer is awesome, but I have nothing to compare it to- but so far I love it! This is the Air Fryer I have! It is easy to use, I didn’t have to read a gigantic users manual and the food is amazing in it! Mine is a 3 quart air fryer and I love the size.
Cooking the chicken strips
Set your air fryer to 400 degrees. The chicken strips will cook super fast! Have a meat thermometer on hand to make sure you check the internal temperature.
Place your chicken strips in the air fryer basket and let them “fry” for about 3 minutes. The breading will look white and start to crisp up. Turn the chicken strips over and let them cook for another 2 minutes.
The center of the chicken (at the thickest part) needs to read 165 degrees to be safe to eat! If you find your chicken strip are getting to crispy and not getting done in the center, then turn your temperature down to 375 degress and try another batch. Mine cooked perfect at 400 degrees.
After the 2 minutes brush the chicken strips with melted butter all over. Let the chicken strips cook again for another 3-5 minutes, turning them part way through the last few minutes if they are not cooking evenly.
Check the internal temperature to make sure they are 165 degrees. Lightly salt your chicken strips after they are done “frying”. Repeat with all of the chicken strips until they are all done! Then eat and enjoy!
Frozen fries and tater tots cooked at 400 degrees are delicious to eat with these Air Fryer Chicken Tenders!
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Air Fryer Chicken Strips
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups cornstarch
- 2 tbsp season salt *added to flour/cornstarch mixture
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted *for brushing on strips as they cook *you will need a basting brush for brushing the butter on the chicken
- salt, for lightly salting after cooking/"frying"
- 1 tsp season salt *added to beaten eggs
- Cut your chicken into strips, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add your flour, cornstarch, and seasonings. Mix well. Taste a pinch of the flour mixture to make sure it is seasoned enough to your liking. Once the breading is on the chicken, the flavor will lessen a bit, so I always make it a touch saltier then I think is enough.
- In another large bowl, add your 5 eggs and 1 teaspoon of season salt. Beat the eggs and season salt.
- Take your chicken strips and dip them in the egg mixture and then in the flour/cornstarch mixture making sure they are evenly covered. Then dip them all again in the egg mixture and then again in the flour mixture. Double dipping is important to get the breading good and crispy.
- Set your Air Fryer to 400°. Fill the basket of the air fryer with chicken strips. Do not over crowd the basket. Let the chicken strips "fry" for 3 minutes.
- Flip the chicken strips and let them cook for another 2 minutes.
- After the 2 minutes (they have only been cooking for 5 minutes at this point) brush the chicken strips with the melted butter all over. Let the chicken strips cook again for another 3-5 minutes, turning them part way through the last few minutes if they are not cooking evenly.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken strip. They should be 156° internal temperature to be done and safe to eat. ***If your air fryer is cooking them too fast and the breading is cooking too fast before the internal temperature reaches 165° , turn your air fryer down to 375° and try another batch of chicken strips at the lower temperature.
- Lightly salt the chicken strips after "frying". Enjoy!
- Melt your butter in a small dish.