Do you love beef jerky? Did you know you can make it at home cheaper than you can buy the packaged beef jerky at your local grocery store, and you aren’t getting beef jerky packed with preservatives and a ton of other weird ingredients (not to mention the sodium)!
The Butcher Man has the best beef jerky that he makes right in the meat shop and people love it! They love it so much they will buy bags of it at a time and he can’t keep up with the demand!
So he is sharing his beef jerky recipe with you and keeping it simple for us beginners! Everyone who make beef jerky has their tricks and “best way” to do it….but his way is easy and you will love it!
If you don’t have a food dehydrator you can buy a cheap one at your local Walmart store or on Amazon. They are around $30-$40 but worth having in your kitchen! You can make so many yummy things with them, but Beef Jerky is my favorite!
For this beef jerky you will need 3-4 pounds of top round beef. Look for top round beef that has a good marbling for the flavor. Have your local butcher slice it thinly for you, about 1/4 inch or thinner. You want it sliced as thin as you can get it so it will cook faster! You will need a coarse salt blend seasoning of your choice. You can go spicy, garlicky, whatever flavor profile you like, just make sure its a coarse salt and not fine ground. The Butcher Man will tell you less is more, especially with this beef jerky. It is easy to get carried away and over season the jerky or think you need to marinade your meat but this is for beginners and so we are not marinating the jerky! This is a simple and easy beef jerky but so delicious!
You will take your thinly sliced meat and lay it out on your dehydrator trays. Season the meat (one side only) to your liking.
Set the trays full of meat in the dehydrator and dehydrate for 7-9 hours at a temperature of 165. The cooking time will depend on how thick your beef is.
Remove the meat from the trays and enjoy.
Store your beef jerky in a zip top bag in the fridge.
Hope you enjoy!
Beef Jerky For Beginners
- 3-4 top round beef, with good marbling, sliced thin
- 1/2-1 cup coarse salt seasoning blend
- dehydrator see notes
- Make sure your beef is sliced as thin as you can get it.
- Lay the meat out on the dehydrator trays and one side to your liking.
- Place the loaded trays of beef in the dehydrator and dehyrdate for 7-9 hours (depending on how thick your beef is) at a temperature of 165 degrees.
- After it has finished dehydrating, remove it from the dehydrator and enjoy!
- Store any jerky that is not eaten right away in a ziptop bag in the fridge.
- You need to get a beef that has good marbling for the best flavor. The beef needs to be sliced at least 1/4 inch or less for the best jerky, and so it doesn’t have to dehydrate as long.
- A coarse salt blend works best. Look for one that has salt, garlic, pepper and any other flavors you like. Make sure it is coarse and not a fine ground spice blend.
Thanks for trying it! I’m glad you liked it!