Easy Chocolate Cream Pie is a No Bake Chocolate Pudding Pie that you can make in minutes! Milk Chocolate pudding mixed with fresh whipping cream in a graham cracker crust makes this Easy Chocolate Cream Pie the favorite pie at every holiday party!
This No Bake Chocolate Pudding Pie is so simple. I first had it years ago when my mother in law made it for Thanksgiving. I have tweaked a few things and my measurements are a bit different, but it is essentially the same pie-creamy, dreamy and addictingly delicious!
This Easy Chocolate Cream Pie is our family favorite. It makes two perfect chocolate cream pies with a graham cracker crust. My boys will not eat any other pie, and it is often made for birthdays…its that good! Who needs cake when you can have an easy chocolate cream pudding pie!
The Pudding for Easy Chocolate Cream Pie
This Chocolate Cream Pie is a no bake pudding pie… and it is delicious! You will use instant chocolate pudding but DO NOT FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS…EVEN IF THERE IS DIRECTIONS ON THE BOX FOR MAKING PIE IGNORE THEM!
I had to mess around with the measurements a few times because when I first started making the pie because it never set up. It would always be a runny pie that would not set up and stay in the crust when cutting it… no matter how long it sat in the fridge to set up. It still tasted good… but who wants a runny pudding cream pie? No one! I now have the perfect measurements for perfectly set chocolate pudding pie!
You will need one 5.9 oz. box of Instant Chocolate Pudding and some cold 2% or whole milk. (Do not use skim or lower fat milk). Mix the instant chocolate pudding with the milk and set it aside. Mix it well. It will be really thick. Remember DO NOT follow the box instructions- see the recipe below! Use the pudding, toss the box and directions!
You can use any brand of chocolate pudding. MAKE SURE IT IS INSTANT! I prefer the classic Jell-O Brand pudding (not getting paid to say that).
TIP: I use a hand mixer to mix my pudding (my stand mixer is being used to make the whipping cream) and I use a large bowl. The hand mixer will help make sure there are no chocolate lumps in your pie from the pudding mix. You can mix it by hand but sometimes some chocolate lumps can be left behind.
The Whipped Cream for your pudding pie
You will need to make some homemade whipped cream – yum! Don’t go the easier route and use Cool Whip – it won’t turn out!
Making your own homemade whipped cream is so easy!
I use my stand mixer with my whisk attachment to whip it up…it does take a few minutes. I let the heavy cream whip while I make the chocolate pudding for the filling.
You will need one quart of HEAVY Whipping Cream. Make sure it is HEAVY Whipping Cream!
Pour the Heavy Whipping Cream into your mixer stand, add some powdered sugar and vanilla and turn it on medium-low speed. (There is vanilla extract in the photo below- you just can’t see it because it is clear vanilla extract!)
It will slowly start to mix, but it won’t change much in the first few minutes.
After a few minutes you will see it start to thicken up. Turn the speed up to med-high. Keep mixing!
It will start to form soft peaks and you know you have successfully made homemade whipped cream! Let it mix for about 30 seconds to 1 minute more. The whipped cream should hold its shape and not be runny at all!
Turn off the mixer and set the whipped cream aside.
NOTE: You can make it sweeter to your liking by adding more powdered sugar or vanilla and mixing it well. Just add it before it starts to thicken up and form stiff peaks.
The Pie Crust for No Bake Chocolate Pudding Cream Pie
You will need 2 graham cracker pie crusts (6.oz size/9 inch size) for this easy chocolate cream pie. This recipe will fill 2 pre-made graham cracker pie crusts perfectly. If you buy the larger size pie crusts you will need to make more pie filling!
You can use a homemade pie crust, but why? The store bought ones are so easy and super yummy! Plus, the filling is what makes the pie!
Making the Easy Chocolate Cream Pie
Making the No Bake Pudding Pie is super easy! Take 3 cups of your fresh homemade whipped cream and gently fold it into the chocolate pudding you have already mixed. Gently stir and fold it in until it is fully mixed! (You will have extra whipping cream after measuring out the 3 cups, this is for the top of the pies if desired).
Then gently fill each pie crust, dividing the filling evenly between the two graham cracker crusts! Smooth out the top the best you can so it looks nice and pretty.
The Topping on the Pie
Toppings for this Easy No Bake Chocolate Pudding Cream Pie is a very divided issue at my house! The Butcher Man and my oldest love whipped cream on top.
So you can put an entire layer of whipped cream on top of the chocolate cream pie.
Or you can just add a scoop of whipped cream on top of each slice of no bake chocolate pudding pie!
Another option is to add some whipped cream on top of the pie and top it of with some milk chocolate shavings. I use the smallest grater side of my cheese grater and it makes perfect chocolate shavings! (see below for the 4- sided grater I have and love – it does everything!)
Or, you can be like my youngest and just eat the pie straight up chocolate…nothing on top!
Serving the Pie
Let the pie set up a bit more in the fridge for at least an hour before serving it if you want it more firm! You can serve it right away, but it won’t be as “set up” and may be harder to serve.
You can add your whipped cream before or after it goes in the fridge to set up! (Don’t forget to refrigerate any left over whipped cream you are adding to the pie too!)
No matter how you top it, you will love this no bake chocolate pudding cream pie!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
- Oven Baked Tacos
- Easy Taco Meat
- Pizza Stuffed Rolls
- Apple Spice Sheet Cake
Easy Chocolate Cream Pie
- 2 ( 6 oz./9 inch) each Graham Cracker Pie Crusts
- 1 box (5.9 oz.) Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 2 cups 2% or whole milk *make sure it is cold, straight from the fridge, do not use skim milk
- 1 quart HEAVY Whipping Cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar *or more to taste to sweeten the whipped cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract *or more to taste to sweeten the whipped cream
- In your stand mixer with the whisk attachment (a hand mixer will work too), add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Start out mixing it on medium-low speed. When the cream starts to thicken, turn it up to med-high speed. When it is thick and starting to form stiff peaks, turn the mixer up to high and let it mix for 30 seconds to 1 minute. It will be mixed fully when it hold its shape and is not runny at all.* You can add more powdered sugar or more vanilla to sweeten it to your liking – just add it before its mixed all the way.**It will take a few minutes to start to thicken and then form stiff peaks, be patient. I mix my chocolate pudding while it is mixing.
- While your whipped cream is mixing, in a large bowl add your box of pudding and 2 cups of cold milk. DO NOT MAKE THE PUDDING ACCORDING TO THE BOX…ignore the box directions!!! Using a hand mixer, mix the pudding and milk together until there are no lumps and it is smooth and thick. Set aside.*You can mix it by hand, it may just end up with some chocolate lumps from the pudding mix and that is ok.
- Measure out 3 cups of the fresh whipped cream (it should be thick and able to hold it shape and not be runny) and gently fold/stir it into the thick chocolate pudding. Gently mix it in fully.*You will have extra whipped cream after measuring out the 3 cups- this will be added to the top of the pie if desired.
- Divide the pie filling into the two graham cracker pie crusts evenly, making sure they are both filled. This recipe should fill your two 6 oz. (9 inch) pie crusts perfectly. Smooth out the top with a rubber spatula if you want it to look pretty!
- If desired, top your pies with the remaining whipped cream. Optional: milk chocolate shavings can be added by grating a milk chocolate candy bar on top (see blog post above for info).You can also just leave your pies without the whipped cream and let people add their own scoop of whipped cream to their own serving.
- You can serve this pie immediately if you are in a rush, but I recommend letting it set up in the fridge for at least one hour so it is easier to serve! You can add the whipped cream to the top (if you are adding whipped cream) before or after your refrigerate the pie! *Don't forget to refrigerate your whipped cream too if you are adding it after!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and should only be used as an approximation.
Check out some extra drool-worthy shots of the pie!