This recipe is fast, simple and tasty! Guacamole is a favorite of mine! I love it on Mexican food, love it as a dip and love it as a spread on a wrap or a sandwich!
If you have made guacamole, you know it is easy to make with pretty basic ingredients.
For this fast and easy guacamole I use an avocado, 1/2 of a small roma tomato, some chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice and some kosher salt. So easy but so good!
This recipe makes only about 1/2 cup. This is the perfect amount when we are having chicken tacos or fajitas because only the Butcher Man and myself eat it (the boys say it is too mushy and hate avocado-crazy!). If I am having a lot of people over, then I will double, if not triple it!
You can add more, less or omit any of the ingredients, although I am here to tell you, that all of them are perfect together and not one sticks out in taste more than another (except for the avocado of course).
It is easy to make. Chop up the avocado, tomato, onion and cilantro. Add it to a bowl, then add lime juice and mash it all together. I usually add my salt at the very end.
The guacamole will not stay fresh very long. It will go dark pretty fast (just like an apple when it sits out too long and the air oxidizes it). I have found that putting the avocado pit in your bowl and covering it up with the guacamole, then covering the guacamole with plastic wrap pressed right on top of it works pretty darn good to keep it fresher a bit longer. I have heard that you can put some water right on the surface of the guacamole, just enough to cover it so air can’t hit it. Then, when ready to eat, drain the water, mix the guacamole and it’s fresh as a daisy, not watery and has the same texture…..hhhhhmmm. I have never tried it so I have no opinion, just thought I’d throw that out there! (If you do try it, and it works without messing up the guac goodness-let me know!)
Easy Guacamole…give it a try! You will be hooked, and will never want to buy pre-packaged guacamole again!
Hope you enjoy!
Looking for a delicious and easy Fresh Homemade Salsa? Try mine! Click HERE for the recipe for the best Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa!
- 1 medium/large ripe avocado, pit removed, peeled, chopped *save the pit, see note
- 1/2 roma tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice to taste about 1/2 small lime, squeezed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Peel avocado, remove the pit and chop. Chop 1/2 roma tomato. Chop red onion and cilantro. Add to a bowl.
- To the same bowl, add fresh lime juice.
- Mash the avacado, mixing in the other ingredients as you go. Add salt. Mix until guacamole is as smooth or as chunky as you like.
- Store in the fridge in an air tight container for 2-3 days or until it turns brown.
- You can easily change the flavors as needed. If you don’t like too much lime juice, cut back on the amount. Same with tomato, onion and cilantro.
- Using a ripe avocado will you give you the best results (not too mushy but not to firm). Too firm of an avacado won’t “mush” as for a smooth texture. If you like it chunky, then a firm avocado will work great!
- Fresh guacamole goes brown fast, but if you add the avocado pit to the bowl, it should help keep it fresh longer! I also add plastic wrap pressed to the guacamole, then put a lid on the container. The plastic wrap, along with the pit, seems to keep it fresh a bit longer.