In the summer I am all about easy, light meals that don’t heat up my kitchen. This Grilled Chicken Salad with Avocado Cream Sauce is just that! Easy, light, fresh and the perfect summer meal.
I have made my Avocado Cream Sauce for years and have always used it for Mexican Dishes. I love it on top of burritos or enchiladas, or as a dip for a quesadilla, or on loaded nachos. This sauce is amazing also as dip for tortilla chips or fresh veggies. One day I had the most brilliant idea- I needed to have the sauce be my dressing on a salad! Total lightbulb moment! So this Grilled Chicken Salad with Avocado Cream Sauce came to be.
This salad leans toward Mexican Flavors. I love romaine lettuce for my salads. I love the fresh crisp leaves and the taste much better than other types of lettuce. For the chicken, I use my Mexican Chicken Marinade (keep reading for another delicious option). I also add to my salad avocado, red onions, tomatoes, some cilantro lime rice (read below for the easiest and best rice ever), and some fresh squeezed lime juice. But the best thing about this salad though, is the Avocado Cream Sauce for the dressing. It is delicious and light!
Lets talk about the chicken seasoning. Try my Mexican Chicken Marinade, or use a McCormick Chicken Taco packet seasoning (see below in notes for more info- I am not getting paid to say/promote this seasoning). I use 1 1/2 lbs. of chicken breasts and leave them cut into smaller chicken breast pieces. Click here for my Mexican Chicken Marinade. If you are going the easy route of the chicken taco packet seasoning, then just rub the chicken breast pieces in some olive oil then sprinkle them with the seasoning until covered. Note: if using my Mexican Chicken Marinade you will need to allow time for the chicken to marinade for 2 hours (30 minutes is ok but may not be as flavorful). I cook the chicken on my grill over medium heat, about 8 minutes on each side (the time may vary), and until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
I love Cilantro Lime Rice in my Mexican salads, but this is optional. If you are wanting the easiest and most delicious Cilantro Lime Rice then try this Zatarain’s Cilantro Lime Rice you can buy at the store (I am not getting paid to promote this or say this). My sister-in-law (thanks Haylie) told me about it and it is so yummy! I think it is every bit as good as all of the recipes you will find on Pinterest, without all of the work! See notes below for more about the rice.
I know you will love this salad and it will find its way into your weekly meal rotation!
Grilled Chicken Salad with Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 recipe Mexican Chicken Marinade see notes for link to recipe for the Mexican marinade or an alternative
- 1 recipe Avocado Cream Sauce see link below in notes
- Romaine Lettuce, rinsed and chopped enough lettuce for amount of servings-the chicken will make about 5 salads
- red onions, chopped
- roma tomatoes, chopped
- avocados, sliced or chopped (skin and pit removed)
- limes for fresh squeezed lime juice on salad
- Make your Mexican Chicken Marinade and place your chicken breasts in the marinade and let it marinate for up to 2 hours (at least 30 minutes) in the fridge. If you are using the Taco Chicken Seasoning packet (mentioned in notes below), rub olive oil or canola on chicken breasts and sprinkle packet of seasoning on chicken breasts.
- When chicken is ready to grill, heat grill on medium heat. Place chicken on hot grill and grill about 8 minutes on each side (time may vary). Make sure internal temperature of chicken is at least 165°.
- While chicken is marinating and grilling, prepare other salad ingredients. Make your Avocado Cream Sauce. Make Cilantro Lime Rice (optional-see notes below to see what rice I use). Cut/chop lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and red peppers and anything else you wish to add.
- Once chicken is cooked, cut/slice your chicken into bite sized pieces or strips. Add your chicken and other ingredients to your salad, squeeze fresh lime juice over salad and enjoy!