Homemade Enchilada Sauce is full of Mexican flavor. It is perfect for burritos, enchiladas and all of your Mexican dishes. You can make it minutes and it so much better than anything you can buy in the store!Jump to Recipe
I love cooking, I love eating, I love Mexican food! And I LOVE, like really LOVE, this red enchilada sauce. I say “this is the best” about a lot of things I make, but I really, really mean it about this sauce! I like this sauce so much I can actually just eat spoonfuls of it….so weird, I know! It is my favorite thing on a smothered chicken burrito!
The Flavors in Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
The flavors just work in this recipe. You get all the Mexican flavors you expect from chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, ground oregano, tomato sauce, cinnamon and cocoa.
The cocoa does not give it a hint of chocolate like you would think, nor does the cinnamon make you feel like you’re eating a pastry….they both just give it a depth of flavor and richness that is exotic, subtle and just perfection.
Making Homemade Enchilada Sauce
To make Homemade Enchilada Sauce, you start out heating some oil on medium heat in a skillet. Add the flour, and chili powder, whisking it together.
Let it cook for a few minutes. You will start to smell the chili powder…YUM!
Keep whisking it as it heats.
Next, you will add your chicken broth.
Then add the tomato sauce.
Finally add the seasonings.
Whisk together until all of the ingredients are incorporated and the sauce starts to thicken.
Remove from heat and serve over smothered burritos (my favorite), enchiladas, as a sauce for a burrito bowl, or however you like.
This red enchilada sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week….but mine never lasts that long!
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Easy Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce is full of Mexican flavor. It is perfect for burritos, enchiladas and all of your Mexican dishes. You can make it minutes and it so much better than anything you can buy in the store!
Try my Cheese Enchiladas for another delicious homemade enchilada sauce recipe and tasty cheese enchiladas!
You can also use this enchilada sauce recipe for my Easy Chicken Enchiladas or my Ground Beef Enchiladas.
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Try my Easy Chicken Enchiladas, Enchilada Tacos, Green Enchilada Sauce, slow cooker Mexican Chicken or Easy Mexican Rice!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Chipotle Chicken
- Fast and Easy Pasta Salad
- Shrimp Salad
- Foil Packet Loaded Potatoes
- Easy Pretzel Bites (made from store bought pizza crust dough)
- The Best Orange Chicken
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt *more to taste as needed
- 1/8 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp ground oregano
- pinch cinnamon
- On medium heat, heat the oil in a skillet. Whisk in the flour and chili powder. Stir/whisk until mixed well.
- Add in the chicken broth and tomato sauce. Whisk and mix well.
- Add in the other seasonings. You can add more salt to taste.
- Whisk for a few minutes on medium heat until bubbly. Whisk until thickened and all ingredients are mixed fully. Remove from heat.
- Serve with your favorite mexican dishes (smothered burritos, enchiladas, nachos, burrito bowls).
- This sauce will keep in your fridge for up to a week.
Looking forward to trying this out !
Let me know how you like it!🙂