Chicken Fajitas on a sheet pan are an easy meal your family will love! The Chicken is marinated (if you have time) in my Mexican Chicken Marinade. Then it is thrown on a sheet pan with peppers and onions. In to the oven it goes for about 20 minutes! You end up with easy, no-fuss chicken fajitas that are delicious and perfectly cooked!
The Sheet Pan
If you have been following my blog, you know I love my sheet pans, half sheet pans to be exact. I use them a lot (a lot)! If you scroll on down below you will see the ones I have and love!
Any sheet pan, baking sheet or even a larger casserole dish will work for these easy chicken fajitas on a sheet pan. Just make sure you have a large enough pan/dish so the chicken is spread out in a single layer on the pan. This will help it can cook evenly. The peppers can be stacked on top a bit, it is not as important as the chicken being in a single layer.
Make sure you grease your sheet pan, or dish. You can also line it with foil, but you will still need to grease it!
For this recipe you will need about 1 1/2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts. Cut the chicken into strips or pieces. However you prefer it in your fajitas. Some people prefer pieces, others like a little thin slice of chicken. The marinade will marinate up to 2 lbs of chicken, maybe a bit more if you are wanting a bit more chicken!
The Mexican Chicken Marinade
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas needs a perfect marinade, or what is the point of fajitas?!
My Mexican Chicken Marinade is amazing! (not toot my own horn!) It is made with pretty simple traditional Mexican spices. You will need a little canola oil, lemon and lime juice (yes, both!), garlic salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, season salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, ground oregano and a bit of sugar. The spices/seasonings blend together perfectly to make your easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas tasty and every bit as good as your favorite Mexican Restaurant.
To make the marinade, just mix all of the ingredients together (a glass measuring cup works great for this).
I use a zip top bag to let my chicken marinate. Just place your chicken in the zip top bag and pour the marinade over it. Close the zip top bag, making sure most of the air is out of it. Then use your hands and squish it around so you can see that chicken is evenly covered. Then put it in your fridge (on a plate or in a dish in case it leaks) to marinate.
I let my chicken marinade for at least 2 hours, up to 6 hours is great too. If you don’t have time to let it marinate, don’t worry about it, the flavor is still magnificent! Just make the marinade and coat the chicken with it.
If you are wanting an alternative to making your own marinade, McCormick and many others make a decent fajita flavor packet seasoning that you can use instead.
Peppers and Onions
Peppers and onions are a must when making chicken fajitas on a sheet pan. You can use any type of pepper. I like to use one green pepper, one red pepper and one orange or yellow pepper for color. Use what you like and use less peppers if preferred.
I prefer a white onion on my fajitas. One onion is all that is needed. A red onion is just as delicious and adds color if you prefer a red onion. Use whatever type of onion you like.
Slice your peppers and onions and place them in a bowl or dish. Toss them in some canola oil, making sure they are evenly coated. Set them aside.
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
After your chicken has sat and soaked up all of the yummy marinade it is time for the sheet pan magic!
Make sure your sheet pan is greased. Then lay your chicken in a single layer in the sheet pan. Make sure it is evenly spread out so it cooks evenly.
On top of the chicken, add your peppers and onions. Spread the onions and peppers out as much as you can in a single layer. They most likely will be stacked a bit on top of each other and that is just fine. All you need is for them to get a bit crisp-tender and not be over cooked and mushy!
Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top of the peppers and onions and it is time for cooking!
Baking or Smoking the Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Yes, you read that right! You can oven bake these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas. Or you can place your sheet pan out in your smoker (if the pan fits) and smoke the easy Sheet Pan Fajitas! During the summer months, I put them on my smoker. They cook up just like in your oven and are super tasty without heating up your kitchen.
OVEN BAKING: Your easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas will bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees. They will bake, uncovered for about 25 to 30 minutes. You can cook them longer if you want your veggies done more. The chicken will be done at about the 20 minute mark, so pull out the fajitas when the peppers and onions are done to your liking. Turn the fajitas half way through baking (if the chicken seems to be cooking to too fast) to get things moved around for evenly baking!
SMOKER: For easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas on the smoker, heat your smoker to 400 degrees. Place the sheet pan, uncovered right in your smoker and let them cook for about 25-30 minutes or until the peppers and onions are done to your liking. Turn the fajitas half way through smoking if needed (if the chicken seems to be cooking to too fast) to get things moved around for even cooking!
Of course you need flour tortillas for your fajitas. I love to wrap a stack of flour tortillas in foil and place them in the oven or on the smoker while my easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are cooking. I put them in for about 10 minutes and then leave them wrapped in the foil until we are ready to eat!
You will end up with a soft and warm tortilla that is perfect to fill up with the chicken, onions and peppers. (You can see in the photo below the tortillas are unwrapped for serving but still in the foil stacked to keep them warm).
Heating your tortillas is totally optional. If you don’t care for warm tortillas you can eat them straight out of the package.
Serving Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Once your easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are done baking or smoking, then remove the pan from the heat and it is time to eat!
I unwrap my tortillas and leave them to the side of the pan so people can grab a tortilla and fill it up.
Stuff that flour tortilla with all of your fillings and enjoy!
This is one meal you will whether you cook your Sheet Pan Fajitas on the smoker or bake them in the oven.
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into strips or pieces *you can use up to 2 lbs of chicken for the marinade if you want more chicken
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 white onion *red onion works great too
- 2 tbsp canola oil *for the peppers and onions
- dash of salt and pepper *to put on the peppers and onions once they are on the pan
- 1 pkg flour tortillas *at least 10 or more depending on fajita size
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed if possible
- 3 tsp lime juice, fresh squeezed if possible
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Things for Serving Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas (these are just suggestions)
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Pico de Gallo or salsa
- Take your chicken and slice into strips or cut it into pieces. Place it in a zip top bag or in a dish.
- Mix all of the chicken marinade ingredients together. Pour the marinade over the chicken in the zip top bag or in the dish. Seal the zip top bag and squish the chicken around in the bag making sure the chicken is covered evenly. If the chicken is in a dish mix the marinade over the chicken to make sure it is evenly covered and then cover the dish. Refrigerate and let the chicken marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours in the fridge.**TIP: Place the zip top bag in a dish or on a plate in case the bag leaks!***If you don't have time to let your chicken marinate, you can just put it on your chicken.
- While the chicken is marinating slice your onion and peppers. You can use more or less peppers and onions than the recipe calls for. Place the peppers and onions in a bowl and toss with the 2 tablespoons of canola oil. (If you are using less peppers and onions, lessen the amount of oil. The peppers and onions only need to be lightly covered in oil.)
Cooking the Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas – choose oven-baking or smoking
- Baking the fajitas: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease your half sheet pan/baking sheet. Spread the chicken evenly out in a single layer on the sheet pan. Top with the peppers and onions and spread them evenly over the chicken. Season the peppers and onions with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place in the oven and let them bake for 25-30 minutes. Check them half way through and toss the chicken and peppers if the chicken looks like it is getting too done on the bottom of the pan.
- Smoking the fajitas: MAKE SURE YOUR SHEET PAN FITS IN YOUR SMOKER!!! Preheat your smoker to 400 degrees and grease your half sheet pan/baking sheet. Spread the chicken evenly out in a single layer on the sheet pan. Top with the peppers and onions and spread them evenly over the chicken. Season the peppers and onions with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place in the sheet pan in the smoker and let them smoke for 25-30 minutes. Check them half way through and toss the chicken and peppers if the chicken looks like it is getting too done on the bottom of the pan.
- TORTILLAS: While the fajitas are cooking, wrap your flour tortillas in foil. Place the foil wrapped tortillas in the oven or on your smoker for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Keep them wrapped up until you are ready to eat.
- Once the easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are done it is time to eat! Unwrap the flour tortillas, keeping them in the foil and serve your chicken fajitas. Spread sour cream, guacamole, cheese and whatever else you like in the tortilla, add the chicken, onions and peppers and enjoy!