Easy Steak and Peppers Stir Fry is any Asian Inspired dish that is full of flavor. Tender cooked beef, fresh peppers and onions served over rice makes this dish a family favorite!Jump to Recipe
The Stir Fry Sauce
I make my sauce first, whisking together the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, brown sugar, cornstarch and seasonings together.
Make sure you use low sodium soy sauce or else the sauce may be too salty!
The cornstarch is needed for the sauce to thicken. The cornstarch must be added to cold ingredients, or it will create lumps in the sauce. Mix it right in with the soy sauce and other things the recipe calls for!
You can adjust any of the seasonings to your liking.
The Beef for Easy Steak & Peppers Stir Fry
Steak stir fry is delicious and you don’t need to spend a fortune on beef to make a juicy tender steak and peppers dish.
This stir fry is made with thinly sliced Top Round Beef. Top Round beef is perfect for this dish! It is budget friendly and cooks up perfectly tender.
I take my Top Round Beef and I slice into thin strips, cutting against the grain.
The Butcher Man will tell you: Top Round Beef is a budget friendly meat that can be sliced thinly to your liking. It is used quite often for stir frys and other dishes where you need meat sliced thin. You can also have your local Butcher (or the meat counter at a grocery store) thinly slice flank or skirt steak or slice up your favorite kind of steak. (They will cost more than the Top Round Beef). You can partially freeze your beef (or any meat) and this will help you slice it thinner. Because the meat is partially frozen it will hold up better to cutting, making it easy to cut it thin!
Peppers and Onions
I love using red and green peppers to add some color to the dish. You can use both or just one.
I use a white onion because the are a bit more mild in flavor, but yellow onion will work great too!
I chop up my green and red peppers and white onion, and set it aside.
Making your Easy Steak & Peppers Stir Fry
In a large skillet, with a little bit of olive oil, cook the beef strips until almost done.
Then add in your peppers and onion. I like my peppers and onion crisp-tender. If you like yours cooked more add them in a little earlier and cook to your liking.
Once the beef, peppers and onion are cooked, add in the sauce and stir until it thickens a bit.
Serve over your favorite kind of rice. Basmati and Jasmine are perfect for this dish but Brown Rice or a regular Long Grain White Rice is great too!
Hope you Enjoy!
For some other delicious Asian Inspired dishes try my Sweet and Sour Chicken, my Easy Chicken Stir Fry, Mongolian Chicken, Mongolian Beef with Broccoli or my Firecracker Chicken.
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Jolly Rancher Slushies
- Chipotle Chicken
- Fast and Easy Pasta Salad
- Shrimp Salad
- Foil Packet Loaded Potatoes
- Easy Pretzel Bites (made from store bought pizza crust dough)
Easy Steak and Peppers Stir Fry
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs Top Round Beef see notes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- green onions, if desired *for serving
- 1 to 2 tbsp olive oil or canola oil *for cooking the meat
- 1 cup soy sauce, low sodium *regular soy sauce will make it more salty
- 7 tbsp brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp sesame seed oil
- pinch of pepper, to taste
- rice for serving, cooked *any type of rice is fine
- Slice your meat into thin strips. Set aside.
- Chop your peppers and onion. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients together for the sauce and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat your olive oil. Add your beef and cook.
- When the beef is almost cooked, toss in your peppers and onions. Cook until the peppers and onion are done to your liking and until the beef is cooked all the way.
- Pour your sauce over the beef and peppers. Stir until sauce is thickened and your steak and peppers are covered in the sauce.
- Serve over your favorite rice.