Are you wondering how to make crispy chicken wings in the oven?
You can cook chicken wings in the oven and they can be juicy and crispy! They are very simple to make and every bit as good as fried chicken wings!Jump to Recipe
The Pan for Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Any sort of sheet pan or cookie sheet will work for these oven baked chicken wings. You just need to make sure you have a rack so the wings can be lifted up off the bottom of the pan. This allows for hot air to circulate around the wings as they cook, resulting in crispy chicken wings.
A pan with an edge around it will work best. This way the juices won’t drip off the pan.
I use a half sheet pan that has a rack that fits perfectly in it. You can buy these together as a set on Amazon. Here is the one I have and love. It works perfectly to make crispy chicken wings in the oven.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
I line my pan with foil to make for easier cleanup! Then when the wings cook and grease drips off of them it goes on the foil! (The photo below didn’t have the foil on the pan yet).
Oil and Seasonings for Perfect Wings
Oil and seasonings is all you need to make the perfect oven baked chicken wings that are crispy. I use canola oil or vegetable oil. Use whatever you have in your kitchen.
To season the wings you need some coarse/kosher salt and black pepper. That is it!
Making Crispy Chicken Wings in the Oven
I use a mix of wings and drumsticks. About 3 lbs of wings will fit perfectly on a half baking sheet pan.
You will need to pat dry the chicken wings. This will help the oil stick to the chicken wings for seasoning and to ensure a crispy wing when baking.
I use a bunch of paper towels to pat my wings dry. After I pat them dry I place them in a medium/large bowl.
Pour your oil over the wings and give them a toss with some tongs or your hands (make sure you wash your hands after touching the raw wings). Make sure the oil is evenly covering the wings.
Then, sprinkle the salt and pepper over the wings and give them a toss again making sure you get each wing evenly covered.
Then place the wings on the rack on the sheet pan. Make sure they are evenly spaced out on the rack/pan. Also make sure there is some space around each wing so the air can flow around them while baking. If they’re too close together the wings won’t get as crispy.
- If you want to make sure each wing is covered evenly with the seasoning, you can sprinkle the salt and pepper on each wing individually before placing them on the rack to bake.
Baking Crispy Chicken Wings
Place your pan on the middle/center rack so it is in the center of your oven. (Ignore my dirty oven!)
Your wings will need a little over an hour to bake. Half way through the baking time you will need to turn/flip the wings over, so the side that was resting on the rack can get a bit crispier.
The last few minutes of baking time you will turn your oven to “broil” and let the wings crisp up perfectly. They will get crispy super fast on broil so watch them closely.
Once the wings get perfectly crispy pull them out of the oven.
Sauce for Crispy Chicken Wings
These oven baked crispy chicken wings do not need a sauce. But if you are a saucy kind of person toss the wings in a BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce or my Garlic-Parmesan Sauce.
I like to put the wings in a bowl, pour the sauce over them and toss them in the sauce in the bowl. You can brush sauce on each wing as well.
Serve and enjoy these Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings with some ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or your favorite dipping sauce.
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Creamy Chicken Bacon Pasta
- Chicken Taquitos (Rolled Tacos)
- Fast and Easy French Bread Pizza
- Easy Butter Cracker Chicken
- Homemade Chocolate Sauce
- Baked Taco Dip
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- half sheet pan with wire rack
- 3 lbs. chicken wings (I like a mix of wings and drums) see notes
- 2 to 3 tbsp canola oil, vegetable oil (or olive oil) *use enough to make sure the wings are covered evenly in oil
- 1 tbsp kosher/coarse salt *if you want the wings seasoned more double the amount
- 1 tbsp black pepper *if you want the wings seasoned more double the amount
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place an oven safe wire rack on the baking sheet. *you can line your baking sheet with foil for easier clean up if you like.* adjust your oven rack as needed so the wings will cook in the center of the oven on the middle rack.
- Using a paper towel, pat the wings to get them as dry as possible. Place them in a bowl.
- Drizzle canola oil over the wings and toss to make sure they are evenly covered.
- Mix your kosher salt and pepper together. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the wings with oil and toss gently. Try and get the wings as evenly covered with the salt and pepper as you can.*you can sprinkle each wing individually with the salt and pepper blend to get them more evenly covered if desired.
- Line the wings up on the wire rack, trying to make sure they are not too close together on the pan for even cooking and so the hot air can circulate around each wing. *You can also bake the wings in batches if you don't have enough room all at once on the wire rack.
- Place the wings in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Flip the wings and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes.
- After the 50 to 60 minutes of baking, keep the wings in the oven and turn the oven to broil. Let the wings broil for about 1 to 2 minutes, then flip them over and let them broil for another 1 to 2 minutes or until they get crispy and browned to your liking. Watch them closely… they could be done much faster on broil than you think!Remove from the oven when done.
- After the wings have baked and broiled, toss the wings in your favorite sauce, or enjoy them without sauce!
- We love our wings dipped in ranch or bleu cheese dressing.