Mom’s Pumpkin Bars are everything a fall treat should be! Moist pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting makes the best pumpkin dessert you will ever eat!
Weird little fact…I love pumpkin flavored treats, but HATE pumpkin pie! The texture is just….bleh! It’s mushy, thick and just…bleh! But these Pumpkin Bars I could eat all day long! They are my absolute favorite fall treat and I crave them once fall hits!
These Pumpkin Bars are my mom’s traditional treat for Halloween. Every year a few days before Halloween my side of the family gets together and the kids carve pumpkins, we usually order some cheap pizza and we ALWAYS have Mom’s Pumpkin Bars. I can never eat just one….I go back for seconds, and thirds and then hope there is enough left over to take some home! They are so dang good.
I have no clue where my mom got the recipe from, I just know it is delicious! I have tweaked a few things; adding some vanilla, because I just think any cake or dessert needs it. Also, I have found that you can add nutmeg and ground ginger and it adds a bit of a spice that is perfect with the pumpkin.
The Basics for Mom’s Pumpkin Bars
For starters you will need some canned pumpkin. Make sure (this is very important) that you get CANNED PUMPKIN! The actual canned Pumpkin- NOT Canned Pumpkin Pie Mix! Yes, there is a difference! Read the label!
The other ingredients I bet you have on hand! Eggs, sugar, oil, flour, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg (trust me on the nutmeg and ginger).
Making Mom’s Pumpkin Bars
One bowl is all you need! No mixer needed! In a large bowl, you will add your eggs, oil, pumpkin and sugar and whisk it together. I like a whisk better than a spoon. You want it mixed smooth and whisk does the job best!
Next, you will add in all of your spices, vanilla, baking soda and baking powder. Give it a good whisk. Last, add your flour and whisk it again, making sure it is all mixed together good!
Baking Mom’s Pumpkin Bars
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a half sheet bakingpan/sheet pan (see below for links to the ones I love).
Then, pour your pumpkin batter into the baking sheet and smooth it out so it is even. You can even give the pan a light tap on your counter to help even and smooth it out.
Into the oven it goes, for about 25-30 minutes. Check it at 25 minutes. You will know it is done when the top becomes a light brown, the edges start to pull away from the pan, and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center.
Let it cool completely before frosting.
Frosting the Pumpkin Bars
My mom’s recipe uses has a bit different cream cheese frosting recipe. I use my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe and it is delicious and simple! It is just butter, cream cheese and vanilla! Simple, smooth, sweet and creamy! The perfect frosting for the perfect Pumpkin Bars!
Once your pumpkins bars are cooled, frost your cake, then hurry and be the first to have a bite!
The Best Pumpkin Bars are everything a fall treat should be! Moist pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting makes the best pumpkin dessert you will ever eat! I know you will love them!
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Mom’s Pumpkin Bars
- half sheet pan
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) Pumpkin *not canned Pumpkin Pie Mix
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 oz.) block Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature *make sure it isn't low fat or light
- 3 cups powdered sugar *or more if you want it thicker
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature (not melted) *1 stick
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a half sheet baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your eggs, oil, sugar and pumpkin. Whisk/stir until combined and smooth.
- Add in cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add in flour. Mix well until it is all combined.
- Pour your pumpkin bar batter in to your half sheet pan. Smooth it out so it is even. (Tap the pan on the counter to help spread it out!)
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Check at the 25 minute mark. You will know it is done when the top starts to turn a golden brown, the edges start to pull away from the pan, and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center.
- Let it cool completely before frosting!
- Make your frosting while the pumpkin bars bake!
Making the Frosting
- Make sure your butter and cream cheese is softened to room temperature so it mixes well.
- Add all frosting ingredients together and mix in a mixer until smooth. You can add more powdered sugar to your liking to get it as thick as you like.
- Frost your pumpkin bars once the are fully cooled! Enjoy!
- Click HERE for my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe!