I’ve said it before that I love Mexican food and I love the sides almost as much as the main dish! I love the fresh guacamole or smooth and creamy refried beans that they plate with burritos and enchiladas in the Mexican restaurants. But let’s not forget about the Mexican rice!! The rice is the best!!! I love it on the side and I love it stuffed inside a burrito.
Mexican rice is always full of flavor with the cumin and tomato sauce and a bit of heat from the green chilis.
This rice has all of the flavor that you love and is so easy to make!! I have tried quite a few recipes and they are all pretty good….But the reason I love this recipe (besides it being fast and easy) is the seasonings!! This rice has taco seasoning and a little bit of added cumin and it’s so yummy! The soft rice with the tomato base and then the Taco seasoning gives it the perfect flavor for a Mexican rice…just like you get in a Mexican restaurant.
First you will toast the rice in a saucepan with some oil, over medium heat. Mix the rice making sure it’s all covered with the oil. After it starts to get a nice toasty look to it, add the tomato sauce, the chicken broth, green Chilis, seasonings and mix well.
Turn the heat up to high so it can reach a boil. Once it’s boiling, put a lid on your sauce pan and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for a good 20 minutes! Don’t lift the lid and check on it, let the steam and moisture stay in the pan. After 20 minutes, most of the moisture should be pretty much absorbed. Remove from the heat and let rest 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and give it a good to stir to mix in all the ingredients.
Serve as a side with your favorite Mexican dishes, stuffed in a burrito, or any way you choose!
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 cup long grain, white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) mild green chilis, drained optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning any brand
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Heat the oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir making sure the rice is covered with the oil. Keep stirring until its lightly toasted.
- Add the chicken broth, and tomato sauce to the rice, mix well. Turn the heat up to high.
- Add in the drained green chilis (you do not have to add the entire can, just add the amount to your liking, or leave them completely out if you prefer).
- Add the taco seasoning and cumin. Mix well. Turn the heat up to high and let it come to a boil.
- Cover the sauce pan with a lid. Turn the heat down to low.
- Let the rice simmer on low for about 20 minutes, or until the moisture is mostly absorbed and the rice is tender-soft.
- Remove from the heat and keep the lid on. Let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and stir, making sure the ingredients are fully mixed.
- Serve with your favorite Mexican dishes.
- This rice will keep in the fridge for up to a week.