Fast and Easy Beef & Bean Burritos are perfect for busy weeknights!
Loaded with ground beef, refried beans, and melty cheese, they will be better than anything you will order from a Mexican restaurant, fast food drive-up window or can buy in the frozen section at your grocery store!
Make these easy burritos for a fast and simple dinner or make the filling, roll them up and put them in your freezer for an easy freezer meal!
These Fast and Easy Beef & Bean Burritos are the perfect meal for busy weeknights with homework, sports and crazy schedules! They are full of yummy goodness and are better than any frozen burrito you can buy at the store or at a fast food chain.
The best thing about these easy beef and bean burritos are that you can make a huge batch and freeze them for busy nights or a fast lunch. These beef and bean burritos make the best freezer meal! I triple the recipe so I have a freezer full.
THE BURRITO FILLING
Fast and Easy Beef and Bean Burritos are just that! To make the filling it is so simple! They are made with cooked ground beef, refried beans, shredded cheese, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning. Shredded cheddar cheese is added when you roll them up in a flour tortilla.
A SIDE NOTE ON THE REFRIED BEANS: I am weird and not a fan of whole beans in my refried beans. Smooth and creamy is more my jam! So I always throw the beans, the tomato sauce and a bit of water in to my food processor and blend them until smooth (a blender works great too!). See the photo below.
HEATING THE BURRITO FILLING
There are 2 different ways you can heat this delicious burrito filling!
I always brown my ground beef first, then will add it to my blended refried beans with the seasoning and then heat it up! Here are the 2 ways for heating:
- Heat the bean and ground beef filling stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Beef and Bean Burritos in the slow cooker: Heat the bean and ground beef filling on low in a crockpot for 2-3 hours or on high for 1-2 hours.
MAKING/ROLLING THE BURRITOS
After the burrito filling has heated, it is time to roll them up! I use burrito sized tortillas and use a heaping 1/2 cup scoop for the filling. I place the filling right in the center of the tortilla, then top it with some shredded cheese (about 2 tbsp. but more is always better right?), and then roll them up!
To roll them, it is pretty simple. I roll one end over the filling, tuck in each side and continue rolling.
You are ready to eat them once they are rolled! I like to top mine with a little bit of sour cream, lettuce and hot sauce! Of course you can top them with whatever you like, or nothing at all!
FREEZING/RE-HEATING THE BURRITOS
This recipe makes easy freezer meal burritos. I always triple this recipe (tripling it makes about 30 burritos) and freeze them so we have our own homemade burritos for fast and easy lunches or dinners!
First, I roll them all up. Then I place each individual burrito in a freezer, quart sized, zip top bag. Just don’t forget to push all of the air out of the zip top bag before sealing it shut. I roll the extra baggie around the burrito so it’s easier to store in the freezer. I have found using the zip top bags are much easier and faster than wrapping each burrito in freezer plastic wrap (this is also an option and works great too).
To reheat the burritos, I just open the baggie so it is vented, then pop it into the microwave for 2 – 3 minutes until heated through. The baggie steams the burrito so the tortilla is softer, just like a store bought burrito is heated in the wrapper. You can also heat them in the oven on 350 for 20-25 minutes, just note they will be a bit chewier on the outside.
These burritos will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months!
A DELICIOUS IDEA
Use this delicious burrito filling for smothered burritos, a delicious bean dip with tortilla chips, or on loaded nachos!
Fast and Easy Beef & Bean Burritos are perfect for busy weeknights. You will love having them on hand if you make them and freeze them. It is a simple meal that everyone will love!
Also try my Easy Homemade Guacamole, my fresh Pico de Gallo, or my Homemade Salsa, (they are great on these burritos). Or, top your burrito with some Homemade Enchilada Sauce for a smothered delicious Mexican dish!
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Yummy Carrot Cake
- Creamy Baked Chicken
- Easy Peppermint Dip
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
- Oven Baked Tacos
Fast and Easy Beef and Bean Burritos
- 10 Flour Tortillas, Burrito sized (see notes on the brand I prefer)
- 1 lb. Ground Beef, browned/cooked (drained and rinsed-optional)
- 2 (16 oz.) cans, refried beans – traditional flavor (see notes on the brand I prefer)
- 1 (8 oz.) can, tomato sauce
- 1 (1 oz.) envelope Taco Seasoning (see notes)
- 1/2 cup water (just fill the tomato sauce can half full)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, more or less to taste (this is an approx. amount) (I prefer cheddar cheese, Mexican blend or colby jack is good too)
- In a large pot, mix the browned ground beef, refried beans, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, and water all together. Heat on medium heat until warmed and flavors are combined.
- Once the filling is heated, place a heaping 1/2 cup scoop of burrito filling on the center of a flour tortilla. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of burrito filling (about 2 tablespoons roughly).
- Roll up burrito. I fold one end over the burrito filling, then tuck in sides and continue rolling.
- You can roll up all of the burritos and freeze for up to 6 months. (see blog post above for information on freezing and reheating).
Slow Cooker Instruction
- Mix the browned ground beef, refried beans, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, and water all together and heat in a crockpot on low for 2-3 hours, or high for 1-2 hours, just until heated through. Stir occasionally. (You can always let it heat it longer if needeed).Roll burritos like stated above.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and should only be used as an approximation.