When The Butcher Man and I were first married we lived in a small little town that was quiet and perfect and they had the best Greek Food Restaurant ever! The Butcher Man always ordered the chicken kebabs with a side of rice and a side salad (he is always way healthier than me…sigh…of course I get anything with fries)! I would order the Gyro sandwich (with chicken- no lamb for me please). The Gyro was greek chicken stuffed in a soft pita and covered with a cucumber tzatziki sauce that was creamy and tangy with just the perfect amount of cucumber! The gyro was served with a side of fluffy, lemon yellow rice and of course a side of fries (fries are always ordered if possible) that were sprinkled with the best Greek seasoning that was a little bit lemony and a little bit peppery! It was so delicious!
We have moved (16 years ago) and are no longer close to the Greek restaurant but we have been making our own Greek food at home for years! This chicken is so easy but the taste is out of this world!!!
I usually never-ever-ever let chicken marinate over night… chicken soaks up the flavor fast and usually a few hours is all that is needed. But this recipe I marinate overnight or at least 6 hours!!!! It needs the extra time (I would not recommend it with other chicken dishes). The flavor is perfect blend of lemon, garlic, oregano and pepper!
Mix up your marinade, add your pieces of chicken then let it sit in it’s perfect lemony Greek marinade and soak up the goodness! It needs to marinade at least 6 hours, I let mine sit overnight (don’t let is marinate more than 20 hours).
When it’s time to grill it (you can also bake this or cook it in a skillet stovetop) throw it on the grill over medium heat. There is oil in the marinade so expect a few quick flare ups when putting it on the grill. Let it cook for about 6-8 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees!
That’s it! So easy but so delicious and packed with flavor!
What to eat with Greek Chicken
We serve our Greek Chicken with Yellow Lemon Rice, Tzatziki sauce and Homemade Naan bread or Pita Pocket bread. The pocket bread is our favorite so we can stuff the chicken and rice inside, but the Naan bread is soft and the perfect bread to wrap the meat and rice in- either way you can’t go wrong! The perfect salad to go with this Greek Inspired meal is my Easy Greek Salad with Greek Vinaigrette Dressing.
Hope you enjoy!
- 7-8 medium lemons I use 8 because I like a bit more lemon flavor
- 1 cup oil
- 8 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 lbs. chicken breasts cut into pieces I usually get somewhere between 10-12 pieces (maybe more) depending on size I cut them
- In a bowl squeeze all of your lemons. Add the oil and other seasonings to the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add your cut up chicken pieces to a zip top bag, or large bowl with a tight lid (it needs a lid to be covered for marinating or your entire fridge will smell). Add your marinade to the chicken and mix well making sure the chicken is completely covered. Let your chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 6 hours, or overnight but no longer than 20 hours.
- When you are ready to grill your chicken, heat your grill on medium heat. Take your chicken out of the marinade and place it on the grill. (Discard any leftover marinade.) Grill your chicken for 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the grill when done and enjoy!