Greek Chicken is juicy and tender with the best flavor. With garlic, lemon, oregano and some black pepper this marinade makes the best chicken for a perfect dinner.Jump to Recipe
The marinade makes this Greek Chicken amazing!
It is made with fresh squeezed lemon juice, some oil, minced garlic, salt, ground oregano and black pepper. The ingredients are simple but the flavor is perfection.
Making the Marinade for Greek Chicken
Juice your lemons and add the other ingredients and give it a good whisk/mix.
Marinating the Chicken
The chicken needs to marinate at least 6 hours, I let mine marinate all day or even overnight.
You can let the chicken marinate in a zip top bag (double them up in case it leaks), or in a deep dish or bowl with a lid.
Add your pieces of chicken to the marinade and make sure the pieces area all covered. Let it sit in its perfect lemony Greek marinade and soak up the goodness!
Cooking the Chicken
You can grill this chicken, bake it in the oven or cook it on the stove.
GRILLING: Heat your grill on medium heat. Place the chicken on the grill. There is oil in the marinade so expect a few quick flare ups when putting it on the grill. Let it cook for about 6-8 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees!
OVEN BAKED: Heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with prachment paper of grease the baking sheet. Place the chicken on the pan and let it cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
STOVETOP: Heat a large skillet with a bit of oil on medium-low heat. Cook the chicken for about 10-15 minutes, turning it half way through cooking time. Make sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
What to Eat with Greek Chicken
We serve our Greek Chicken with Yellow Lemon Rice, Tzatziki sauce and Homemade Naan bread or Pita Pocket bread.
The pocket bread is our favorite so we can stuff the chicken and rice inside, but the Naan bread is soft and the perfect bread to wrap the meat and rice in- either way you can’t go wrong!
The perfect salad to go with this Greek Inspired meal is my Easy Greek Salad with Greek Vinaigrette Dressing.
Hope you enjoy!
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
There is a lemon juicer that is just like the above lime juicier that makes juicing lemons so easy!
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Jolly Rancher Slushies
- Chipotle Chicken
- Fast and Easy Pasta Salad
- Shrimp Salad
- Foil Packet Loaded Potatoes
- Easy Pretzel Bites (made from store bought pizza crust dough)
- 7-8 medium lemons I use 8 because I like a bit more lemon flavor
- 1 cup oil
- 8 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 lbs. chicken breasts cut into pieces I usually get somewhere between 10-12 pieces (maybe more) depending on the size I cut them
- In a bowl squeeze all of your lemons. Add the oil and other seasonings to the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add your cut up chicken pieces to a zip top bag, or large bowl with a tight lid (it needs a lid to be covered for marinating or your entire fridge will smell). Add your marinade to the chicken and mix well making sure the chicken is completely covered. Let your chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- When you are ready to grill your chicken, heat your grill on medium heat. Take your chicken out of the marinade and place it on the grill. (Discard any leftover marinade.) Grill your chicken for 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.*See blog post above for instructions on coking the chicken on the stove or in the oven.
- Remove chicken from the grill when done and enjoy! See blog post above for sides that go perfectly with this chicken.