There is nothing better than a fresh Tzatziki sauce. I love the taste from the fresh cucumbers paired with the creamy taste from the yogurt. Add a bit of dill and garlic and it is the perfect fresh cucumber sauce.
We eat our Tzatziki Cucumber sauce with our Greek Chicken and Yellow Lemon Rice for the perfect Greek meal. It is delicious on the chicken and rice, or used as a sauce for dipping Pita bread or pita crackers.
Fresh Tzatziki Cucumber Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt or Plain Greek Yogurt I prefer Plain Yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh squeeze or more to taste
- 1 tsp minced garlic *bottled minced, if using fresh minced use 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel your cucumber (optional- keep the peel on if you like it), then cut it in half lengthwise and try and remove most of the seeds. Grate or finely mince the cucumber so it is finely shredded/minced. Put the grated or minced cucumbers in a bowl and press most of the juice out, letting the juice stay in the bowl. Take out the minced/grated cucumber and add to another bowl. Save the juice in the bowl to add back in.
- In the other bowl with the minced/grated cucumbers, add all of the ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add in the cucumber juice to taste. I usually add about 1/2-2/3 of the juice. You can add more lemon juice as needed.