Pizza Stuffed Rolls make an easy dinner your family will love.
All you need are Hawaiian Rolls, pizza sauce, cheese and your favorite pizza toppings. Top the stuffed pizza rolls with a garlic butter for a delicious snack or a super easy dinner!
What are the best rolls to make Stuffed Pizza Rolls?
There are many types of rolls that you can buy to make Pizza Stuffed Rolls. Plain dinner rolls, hoagie rolls, ciabatta rolls, or frozen rise and bake rolls, to name a few. You can also make homemade rolls.
But I think the best rolls to make any sort of slider sandwich in the oven, are Hawaiian Sweet Rolls!
They are super soft, savory and perfect for making Stuffed Pizza Rolls.
Hawaiian Rolls come in a few variations. They have regular sweet rolls, savory butter rolls and even a pretzel roll. There are several brands that are delicious. I stick with the name brand but even store brand rolls are super tasty (try Walmart/Sam’s Choice)!
Use the rolls your prefer (or the rolls that are on sale!).
What makes these stuffed rolls vs. regular slider roll sandwiches?
Slider sandwiches that are made with Hawaiian rolls are really popular. They are soft, bake up perfectly and hold all of the yummy fillings perfectly!
Typically slider sandwiches are made with slicing the rolls right in half, adding the filling in the middle of the rolls (usually meat and cheese) and then baking them in the oven.
My Pizza Stuffed Rolls are made with the same Hawaiian Rolls but they are cut down the top/center of the rolls to make a “pocket”. Then the filling/toppings are stuffed down in the “pocket”.
You can cut the rolls in half like traditional sliders but making them with a “pocket” and stuffing them with the toppings make these rolls fast, easy and super fun!
What do I stuff the Pizza Rolls with?
Pizza Sauce is a must for pizza. I have a super yummy homemade pizza sauce recipe on the blog that is simple and perfect.
To make these Stuffed Pizza Hawaiian Rolls I use a store bought pizza sauce that is in a squeeze bottle. The squeeze bottle makes it so easy to get the pizza sauce in the “pocket”. It’s also cheap, and really good for a store bought sauce.
The cheese is kept simple as well. We use string cheese because it stuffs perfectly in the center of the rolls and is the perfect amount of cheese!
Shredded cheese can also be used.
You can stuff these Hawaiian Rolls with whatever your favorite pizza toppings are. Pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon, ham, pineapple, mushrooms, peppers, onions or whatever you like!
We keep ours basic and stuff them with pepperoni and cheese.
How To Make Stuffed Pizza Rolls
Stuffed Pizza Rolls are super easy. You can have them made and in the oven in 5 minutes!
You will use an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish. It does not need sprayed or greased.
Place the rolls in the pan. Keep them stuck together.
Using a bread knife or sharp knife, cut down the center tops of the rolls, making a “pocket”.
Do not cut all the way through them. You want them cut just deep enough to stuff them without the toppings falling through the roll to the bottom of the pan.
Next, spread (or squeeze) some pizza sauce in the “pocket” of the rolls. You can add as much or as little as you want. I like to add enough that is squishes out a bit!
Next add your toppings. We stick to pepperoni. Stuff them down in the pocket.
Then add the cheese. I use string cheese and push it down on top of the pepperoni (or whatever toppings you have stuffed in the rolls).
Finish off the stuffed pizza rolls by topping them with a tasty garlic butter.
Making the Garlic Butter Topping
Use softened or partially melted butter. It needs to be soft but not fully melted so you can smear it on the rolls.
Next, add the seasonings and give it a stir.
Spread the butter on top of the rolls.
Baking Stuffed Pizza Rolls
Cover the pan of pizza rolls with foil and let them bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Then, uncover the rolls and let the tops brown in the oven for another few minutes.(optional).
The stuffed pizza rolls are warm, gooey and the garlic butter topping will wow your tastebuds!
Cut the rolls apart.
Enjoy these tasty stuffed pizza Hawaiian rolls for an easy snack or dinner.
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
- Oven Baked Tacos
- Easy Taco Meat
- Pizza Stuffed Rolls
- Apple Spice Sheet Cake
Pizza Stuffed Rolls
- 8×8 baking dish *9×9 baking dish works also
- 12 count Hawaiian Sweet Rolls *any variation/flavor
- 1 cup pizza sauce *you may end up using less, use as much or as little as you like
- 5 string cheeses *use shredded mozzarella cheese in place of string cheese if desired
- Pizza toppings of your choice *I used about 24 pepperoni slices
Garlic Butter Topping
- 1/4 cup butter, partially melted or softened at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning *or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt *or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder *or more to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Place the sweet rolls in the 8×8 (or 9×9) baking dish. You do not need to grease the pan. *Do not pull the rolls apart, leave them in one big piece.
- Using a bread knife or sharp knife, cut down (part way) into the tops of the rolls making a “pocket”. See the blog post above for photos of how to do this. Make sure you do not cut down all the way through the rolls, you want to just create a “pocket”.
- Squeeze or spread the pizza sauce in the pocket of the rolls. You can use as little or as much as you like.
- Stuff the toppings in the roll and then top with the string cheese (or shredded cheese).*If you are using string cheese, you may have to cut some pieces in half to fit in the rolls. You most likely will have part of a string cheese leftover. See blog post above for photos on how to add the cheese.
- Mix your seasonings into your partially melted/softened butter and then spread the butter on top of the pizza rolls.*You can adjust the seasonings in the butter to your liking.
- Cover the pan of rolls with foil and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Once the cheese is melted, take the foil off of the pan and let the tops brown to your liking (usually about 5 minutes).
- Cut the rolls apart, using the original pull apart cuts. Then enjoy these tasty pizza stuffed rolls.
- Cover and store any leftovers in the fridge. You can reheat the rolls in the microwave or in the oven at 350℉.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and should only be used as an approximation.