When I was growing every 4th of July was spent at my aunt’s house with all of my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. We were all so close growing up and every holiday, birthday, and big life moments were spent together …. and all of our get togethers were celebrated with food!
We would always have homemade ice cream that my sweet grandpa would make. He made it with fresh raspberries from the garden. It was the most delicious ice cream! Just thinking about the sweet cream and fresh, garden picked, tart raspberries makes me homesick for the carefree days of childhood!
Along with the homemade ice cream, my aunt would always make a cake topped with fresh berries and of course she made it into an American flag! There was always a picture taken on the patio stairs with the cousins all lined up and one of us would hold this flag cake. We loved this dessert and would eat it along with the homemade ice cream and anxiously wait for it to get dark enough to light fireworks. I miss my childhood but I am lucky enough that it was filled with cousins that were best friends, aunts that were second and third moms and the best most loving grandparents a girl could ask for! The 4th of July is full of tender, happy memories and I am so glad my boys love it just as much as I do (and did growing up) and I love that they get to spend it with cousins that are best friends just like I did!
Now this fruit pizza is no where near as good as the cake my aunt would make, but it’s pretty darn tasty and perfect for the 4th of July!
I make mine on a pizza pan and I use a 16″ pan but you could easily use a 12″ or 14″ pizza pan and cut the ingredients in half! It is made with refrigerated, store bought, sugar cookie dough (I am all about the easy way sometimes- homemade cookie dough will work great too), and then frosted with yummy cream cheese frosting and topped with fruit- what’s not to love!?
You will love this recipe and I hope it becomes part of your 4th of July festivities for years to come!
4th of July Fruit Pizza
- 16 inch pizza pan see notes on other option
- 2 (16 oz.) rolls of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- Strawberries, Blueberries, any red or blue works great – raspberries are delicious too
- Cream Cheese Frosting – see below for link for my recipe see notes on amount I use
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease your pizza pan.
- Press sugar cookie dough evenly on to the pizza pan. Make sure to leave a little bit of an edge around the pan (don't press the dough to the edge). Leave about 1/2 inch space because the dough will spread as it bakes and you will end up with a mess if you press it clear to the edges of the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, until the middle is set, the edges are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center. Let the cookie cool completely before frosting.
- While the cookie cools, make your frosting if you are making it from scratch, and cut up your fruit. See link below for Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.
- Once the cookie has cooled, frost the cookie and then place the fruit in any design desired. (I like the look of the fruit scattered but you can do a simple pattern to make it look "prettier").
- Let the pizza chill in the fridge for at least an hour after frosted and topped with fruit (I like it chilled for longer). Cut and serve!I like to cut my pizza into squares, because using such a large pizza pan the slices can be pretty big (but I like using a larger pizza pan because it can feed more people). Cut it however you want and enjoy!
- Keep any leftovers in the fridge. It will be good for about 3 days!