The 4th of July is one of our favorite holidays! It is actually my boys favorite holiday, they love it more than Christmas – if you can believe that! I think it’s because the traditions and family time!
Every 4th of July since the boys were little, we watch our city’s little parade! We live in a city that still has a small town feel and the parade is the best! It starts at 8:30 in the morning is done within the hour…so no long hours in the hot sun… it’s short and sweet and so fun to see all of the people we know in the parade and lined up on the streets! Then we head down to the city’s 4th of July festivities which is a carnival of sorts. All of the activities are free and the kids LOVE it all! There are bounce houses, rock climbing walls, fishing ponds for prizes, face painting, horseshoes, treat stands, booths to browse and shop at, snow cones, the city’s baseball championship games, a stage with events going on all day, a dinner and fireworks.. and most important family and friends! It is the BEST day of the year!!!
We don’t stay all day at the carnival but we go for a few hours then go to my sister’s house for our own family party! We grill, make homemade ice cream or some other yummy treat, and the kids anxiously await our own fireworks!
Treats are always needed at our 4th of July BBQ and this easy ice cream cake (with bright and festive 4th of July colors) is perfect for any BBQ, or get together!
It’s easy, delicious and can easily be made bigger or smaller with more or less ice cream sandwiches! The great thing about this dessert is you can change it up in so many ways!! You can change the toppings and colors on top for any occasion and the filling can be changed (the layer in between the ice cream sandwiches) to caramel, butterscotch, add candy, cookies, fruit topping or just a simple layer of cool whip. The flavor of ice cream sandwiches can be swapped out….I bet the cookies and cream or Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches would be delicious!!!
So give it a try-change it up for every holiday or party and enjoy the delicious flavors of an ice cream cake made easy right at home!
4th of July Ice Cream Cake
- 18 ice cream sandwiches, unwrapped see notes- you can use more less
- 1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed
- Chocolate syrup for drizzling between layers see notes
- Strawberry Ice Cream Syrup for topping
- M&Ms, red white and blue if you can find them
- sprinkles- red white and blue
- Parchment paper to make the cake on makes cutting serving easier
- Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches. I make my ice cream cake on a cutting board, with parchment paper. Then I make the ice cream cake right on the parchment paper. You can also make it in a pan for easier covering and freezing.
- Line up 6 ice cream sandwiches for your bottom layer. Then drizzle your chocolate syrup all over the ice cream sandwiches- not too heavy but enough that each sandwich has a bit on it.
- Line up 6 more ice cream sandwiches going the opposite way. Depending on your brand of ice cream sandwiches I sometimes have to trim off a bit of the ice cream sandwiches to make them line up evenly. Drizzle chocolate syrup again on ice cream sandwiches.
- Take the last 6 ice cream sandwiches and place them on top, laying them the opposite way (same way as first layer). Frost with Cool whip on top and sides. Then drizzle red strawberry syrup on top, and then add sprinkle and M&Ms.
- Place in freezer for at least 2-3 hours so it can harden up and layers can freeze together for easier cutting. I loosely place foil over the top so it is not touching the top of the cake.
- When you are ready to serve it, cut it into desired pieces and enjoy! 18 ice cream sandwiches stacked in 3 layers usually serves 8-12 people depending on the serving size.