This 4th of July Ice Cream Cake is made with ice cream sandwiches, chocolate syrup, Cool Whip and fun red, white and blue toppings. It’s a simple ice box cake that is perfect for summer.
Treats are always needed at our 4th of July BBQ and this easy ice cream cake (with bright and festive 4th of July colors) is perfect for any BBQ, or get together!
Ice Cream Sandwich Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream cake is a simple icebox cake made with ice cream sandwiches. No baking required making it perfect for summer.
You will need ice cream sandwiches. I use the cheaper, rectangle ice cream sandwiches. The square ones would work too.
You will stack the ice cream sandwiches in layers and add your favorite ice cream sauce/syrup in between each layer. I try to add just the perfect amount so the syrup/sauce doesn’t squish out of the sides.
Next, you will cover the ice cream sandwiches with cool whip. It doesn’t need to be smooth and perfect. I actually like it better when it’s wavy and not smooth.
Last, you will add your favorite red, white and blue toppings. Sprinkles, candy (like the M&Ms below and strawberry (red) syrup) make the perfect topping for this 4th of July Cake made out of ice cream sandwiches.
Place the cake in the freezer for at least 2 to 3 hours to set up before serving.
NOTE: If you are worried about the toppings getting messed up or “bleeding the colors into the cool whip, you can add them on before serving.
When you are ready to eat this ice cream cake, cut into pieces and enjoy!
Change It Up – Other Options
It’s easy, delicious and can easily be made bigger or smaller with more or less ice cream sandwiches!
The great thing about this dessert is you can change it up in so many ways!! You can change the toppings and colors on top for any occasion/holiday. The layers of syrup/sauce can be changed to caramel, butterscotch, strawberry or any other flavor you can find.
You can add candy, cookies, sprinkles or a fruit topping; or nothing but a simple layer of cool whip.
The flavor of ice cream sandwiches can be swapped out….I bet the cookies and cream or Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches would be delicious!!!
So give it a try-change it up for every holiday or party and enjoy the delicious flavors of an ice cream cake made easy right at home!
For another easy icebox cake try my S’mores Ice Cream Cake.
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Yummy Carrot Cake
- Creamy Baked Chicken
- Easy Peppermint Dip
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
- Oven Baked Tacos
4th of July Ice Cream Cake
- 18 ice cream sandwiches, unwrapped see notes- you can use more less
- 1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed
- Chocolate syrup for drizzling between layers see notes
- Strawberry Ice Cream Syrup for topping
- M&Ms, red white and blue if you can find them
- sprinkles- red white and blue
- Parchment paper to make the cake on makes cutting serving easier
- Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches. I make my ice cream cake on a cutting board, with parchment paper. Then I make the ice cream cake right on the parchment paper. You can also make it in a pan for easier covering and freezing.
- Line up 6 ice cream sandwiches for your bottom layer. Then drizzle your chocolate syrup all over the ice cream sandwiches- not too heavy but enough that each sandwich has a bit on it.
- Line up 6 more ice cream sandwiches going the opposite way. Depending on your brand of ice cream sandwiches I sometimes have to trim off a bit of the ice cream sandwiches to make them line up evenly. Drizzle chocolate syrup again on ice cream sandwiches.
- Take the last 6 ice cream sandwiches and place them on top, laying them the opposite way (same way as first layer). Frost with Cool whip on top and sides. Then drizzle red strawberry syrup on top, and then add sprinkle and M&Ms. *You can add the toppings before serving if you want.
- Place in freezer for at least 2-3 hours so it can harden up and layers can freeze together for easier cutting. I loosely place foil over the top so it is not touching the top of the cake.
- When you are ready to serve it, cut it into desired pieces and enjoy! 18 ice cream sandwiches stacked in 3 layers usually serves 8-12 people depending on the serving size.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and should only be used as an approximation.