Easy Homemade Chocolate Brownies are rich and chewy, soft and perfect to satisfy those chocolate cravings!
I have two brownie recipes on the blog. This recipe and my Double Chocolate Brownies. The main difference being the chocolate flavor.
I experimented over and over to find the perfect brownie! I came up with My Double Chocolate Brownies first (which are really good), they are made only with cocoa powder (I am sure you have all the ingredients on hand at all times for that recipe which is a bonus). With that recipe you get more of a darker chocolate taste. They are little more rich and fudgy and not as thick (and you have to heat some of the ingredients in a saucepan on your stove).
And then there is this recipe! Easy Homemade Chocolate Brownies are rich and chewy! This recipe is so much better, I think! No stove top for melting the chocolate and this recipe has the perfect chocolate flavor!
I wanted to find a brownie with a bit more milk chocolate taste, so I experimented and tried all sorts of combos from melting chocolate, to candy bars, cocoa (different brands) and chocolate chips- and finally feel like I figured it out! These brownies that I am sharing today (no stove needed) are a bit more thick, milk chocolatey and chewy because you melt milk chocolate chips for the chocolate along with a bit of cocoa powder and the results are amazing….the perfect blend of chocolate! You get more milk chocolate coming through than dark chocolate (which is so my jam)!
I love this recipe because there is no cooking anything on your stovetop! Melt your chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave (watching closely so it doesn’t scorch and stirring until smooth), and you will melt your butter in the microwave too! So easy!
For melting my chocolate chips, I put them in a microwave safe bowl, then set my cooking power on 50% and let it melt for 30 seconds. I then stir it and put back in the microwave for 15 second intervals stirring in between until it’s melted. I usually take it out when there are a few chocolate chips that haven’t melted completely and just stir it until they are melted and the chocolate is smooth! Chocolate is easy to scorch, especially in the microwave, so watch it closely!
Making The Brownies
Put your sugar in a medium/large mixing bowl, then add your melted butter. Mix this up until its combined. Then wisk in the vanilla and eggs one by one.
Now for the best part….add your melted chocolate chips and give it a good stir! YUM!
Trade out your whisk for a spoon or rubber spatula (trust me you will need it because the batter will become thicker at this point), and add in your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined, but do not over mix!
Last, add in your additional chocolate chips (yum) and stir them in gently, making sure to not overmix!
Baking The Brownies
I always bake my brownies in a pan lined with parchment paper. If you have never tried it then I am sure it sounds so weird. I do this for an easy clean up but also for easy serving. You just lift the baked brownies out of the pan (on the parchment paper), cut them on the parchment paper, and then you can always lift the remaining brownies back in the pan on the parchment paper and cover it for later (did I mention it’s also an easy cleanup!). If you don’t have parchment paper or just don’t want to try it then grease your pan.
I use an 8×8 pan for these brownies for a thick soft brownie (perfect for brownie sundaes!), but a 9×9 works too. Just make sure you adjust the baking time- they will cook faster in a 9×9 pan!
Pour your batter into your prepared pan and spread it out evenly. Then into the oven (at 350) for 40-45 minutes if you are using an 8×8 and only 30-35 minutes if you are using a 9×9 pan. You will know they are done when the edges start to look a little crispy and crunchier and the center seems set and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center. I prefer mine a little underdone, just don’t overbake them! (Times will vary depending on your oven so I suggest checking them 5 minutes before you think they will be done!
Serving The Brownies
Take them out of the oven when they are done and give them a good 10-15 minutes to cool before cutting (unless you are serving them with vanilla ice cream for a brownie sundae- then I suggest serving them warm!). When you are ready to serve, lift the brownies out on the parchment paper and cut them up to serve! You will get 9 brownies, or more depending on big you cut them.
And for the perfect chocolate lovers treat, make these brownies and top them with vanilla ice cream and my Homemade Chocolate Sauce (warm brownie preferred!).
Hope you enjoy!
If you are looking for a recipe that only requires baking cocoa powder than try my Double Chocolate Brownies.
Easy Homemade Chocolate Brownies
- 10 tbsp butter, melted 1 stick plus 2 tbsp.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips (to add to the batter at the end)
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper, or grease it. (see notes on pan size).
- In a medium/large bowl, add your sugar. Add your melted butter to the sugar and stir until combined.
- Add your vanilla and eggs and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Add your melted chocolate chips and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Add the salt, flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, stirring until combined (you may need a spoon or rubber spatula at this point to mix it well, as it will be thick). Mix only until combined-do not overmix!
- Add your additional 3/4 cup of milk chocolate chips (do not melt these) and mix gently until combined,
- Pour into your pan lined with parchment paper and spread evenly. (Or your greased pan).
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Check 5 minutes before you think they will be done. They will be done when the middle is set, the edges start to crack and look crispy and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center. Do not overbake!
- Remove from the oven and let cook 10-15 minutes. When you are ready to serve lift the brownies out of the pan on the parchment paper and cut them into pieces and serve!
- These brownies can be kept in the pan or on a plate (covered) for 3-4 days.