Change up your chicken dinners with this Easy Malibu Chicken. Crispy breaded, oven baked chicken topped with thin sliced ham and swiss cheese. Serve it up with a sweet and tangy honey mustard dipping sauce for a delicious home cooked meal your family will love!
What is Malibu Chicken?
What is Malibu Chicken? It is one of the most delicious chicken recipes that you will ever eat! If you have eaten at Sizzler, chances are you have tried Malibu Chicken. This recipe brings Sizzler’s Malibu Chicken to you, at home!
Easy Malibu Chicken takes chicken to the next level! It is breaded chicken breasts that are oven baked to a perfect crispness. Then, the chicken is topped with thin sliced ham and swiss cheese! YUM!
Malibu Chicken is served with a sweet honey mustard dipping sauce that perfectly compliments the ham and cheese topped chicken. Trust, me it’s a meal you will want to try!
You will need chicken breasts, beaten eggs and Panko Bread Crumbs with some seasonings for the breading. Then you will need thin sliced deli ham and swiss cheese to put on top of each piece of chicken. A dipping sauce is always needed so you will need mayo, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, and honey!
Oven baked chicken breasts can be dry and boring but this recipe will give you juicy chicken with amazing flavor!
I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. We have a family of 5 and I use 2 full chicken breasts, which is about 1 1/2 lbs. of chicken (roughly). My chicken breasts are usually large and so I will cut them into pieces. I end up with about 6-8 pieces, depending on how big I cut my pieces and how big the chicken breasts are.
The Breading for Chicken
Easy Malibu Chicken has to have a delicious breading. The breading is super important to making great oven baked chicken.
For my Easy Malibu Chicken I use Plain Panko Crumbs. They are crunchy and perfect for this recipe! I season the Panko Crumbs with seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and parmesan cheese. Just give it all a good mix. You can add more of the seasonings to your liking.
To bread the chicken all you need is some beaten/whisked eggs. I use 4 eggs and it is the perfect amount of egg to dip the chicken in. You need the eggs to make the breading stick to the chicken.
Making Easy Malibu Chicken
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet (I use a half sheet pan) with parchment paper, or grease your sheet pan.
You have the breading mixed up and the eggs ready to go…now what? Making Easy Malibu Chicken could not be more simple!
Take each piece of chicken and dip it in the egg and then in the Panko Crumbs.
Now for the most important part to get your chicken good and breaded…DO IT AGAIN! Re-dip your chicken in the egg and then the Panko Crumbs, making sure they are good and covered! Place your breaded chicken on your parchment paper (or greased) baking sheet. Repeat until all of your chicken is breaded. NOTE: This recipe uses every last drop of Panko Crumbs and eggs when I make it…it works out perfect every time. If you find your are running out of egg and breading your can mix up some extra Pank Crumbs and one more egg to finish it off.
Baking Easy Malibu Chicken
After your chicken is breaded and on the baking sheet, it is time to bake it! Put the chicken in the oven to bake for about 25 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature. To check the temperature of the chicken, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest piece of chicken. Make sure you insert the thermometer into the center of the chicken breast in the thickest part of the chicken. If the thickest piece of chicken reaches 165 degrees, the smaller pieces should be done as well. If the chicken is not at 165 degrees, then let the chicken cook for another 5 minutes and re-check the chicken.
Once the chicken reaches 165 degrees, take the pan out of the oven and top the chicken with your thin sliced ham and a slice of swiss cheese. I fold my piece of ham so it is a double layer of ham. Just use enough ham and swiss cheese to cover the chicken. Put the chicken back in the oven and let it cook for another 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly golden brown, or to your liking.
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
While your Malibu Chicken is baking, mix up your dipping sauce.
For the dipping sauce all you need is mayo (not Miracle Whip), yellow mustard, dijon mustard and honey. Just mix it all up and set it aside. You can adjust the mustard and honey to your liking.
Serving Easy Malibu Chicken
Take the Easy Malibu Chicken out of the oven and get ready to eat!
We like to eat our Malibu Chicken with a side salad, corn on the cob, some sort of bread (try my Easy Garlic Knots, Easy Breadsticks, Easy Homemade French Bread or Easy No Fail Dinner Rolls), and garlic mashed potatoes. Don’t forget to dip your Malibu Chicken in the honey mustard sauce!
Comment below and let me know how you liked this recipe! Please leave me a star rating also! Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram (click on the icons at the top or bottom of the blog)!
Check out my latest recipes:
- Easy Slow Cooker French Dip
- Cucumber Pasta Salad
- BLT Ranch Pasta Salad
- The Most Delicious Fast and Easy Clam Dip
- Easy Mexican Rice
Easy Malibu Chicken
- 2 full chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) *about 1 1/2 pounds
- 8 slices deli ham (thin sliced) *or enough pieces of ham to cover your chicken pieces after they have baked
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese *or enough slices to place on top of the baked chicken
- 4 large eggs, beaten *if using smaller eggs use more than 4
- 2 1/2 cups Panko Crumbs (plain, not Italian or other flavors)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese *the green plastic bottled kind works better than fresh grated
- 3 tsp seasoned salt *or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder *or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder *or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper *or more to taste
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat your oven to 400 ° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease your baking sheet. (I use a half sheet pan)
- Take your chicken breasts and place them in between 2 pieces of parchment paper and pound them out using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Pound them out so they are even in thickness. I cut my chicken breasts in to smaller pieces. Depending on the size of my chicken breasts I end up with about 6-8 chicken pieces.
- In a shallow bowl or dish, mix together your Panko Crumbs, Parmesan Cheese and seasonings. Adjust the seasonings to your liking as needed. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, beat your eggs together and set aside.
- To bread your chicken, take each piece of chicken and dip it into the eggs, and then the seasoned Panko Crumbs. Repeat dipping again, so each piece of chicken is dipped in the egg and Panko Crumbs again. Place the breaded chicken on the parchment paper (or greased) lined baking sheet. Repeat with all chicken pieces.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the largest piece of chicken reaches 165 degrees in the center of the chicken. (If the thickest piece of chicken is done in the center the rest of the chicken should be done.)*See blog post above for the digital meat thermometer I use.
- Once the chicken has reached 165 degrees, take the chicken out of the oven. Place one slice of ham (or more if needed) to cover each piece of chicken. I fold the ham slice in half so the ham is a double layer on the chicken (see photos above). Top the the ham with a slice of Swiss Cheese. Place the chicken back in the oven until the cheese has melted and is golden brown, or to your liking. Take the chicken out of the oven when the cheese is melted to your liking.
The Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- While your chicken is baking, take all of the ingredients for the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce and mix well. Adjust the honey or the mustards to your liking.
- Serve your chicken when it is done baking and enjoy with the dipping sauce!