S’mores Muddy Buddies snack mix is the perfect muddy buddy mix with all of the flavors of s’mores. Chocolate muddy buddies, with chocolate bar bits, milk chocolate chips, graham cracker pieces, Golden Grahams cereal and mini marshmallows make this the perfect summer s’mores snack mix.
What is exactly is Muddy Buddies?
Muddy Buddies has been around for years. Typically Muddy Buddies are usually made with chocolate and peanut butter melted together then it is poured over Chex Cereal. The chocolate-peanut butter covered cereal is then tossed and coated in powdered sugar. Traditional Muddy Buddy mix is simple and yummy…but why stick with the traditional?!
The Muddy Buddy Part
I couldn’t resist making a S’mores version, and since there is no peanut butter in your traditional s’mores, there is no peanut butter in this S’mores snack mix. S’mores Muddy Buddies have only traditional flavors of chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers.
Measure out your Chex cereal and place it in a large bowl.
For my S’mores Muddy Buddies, I use just straight milk chocolate, no peanut butter added. We are trying to keep this as close to an actual s’mores treat as possible.
For the milk chocolate, I use milk chocolate chips. All you need to do is melt them slowly on your stove over medium-low heat, stirring the entire time.
I prefer Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips, but you can use any brand you like. If you prefer semi-sweet chocolate, use that.
After the chocolate is melted, you will pour it over your Chex Cereal. It will need to be gently mixed in to coat the cereal the best you can. Gently stir and fold it the best you can without crushing the cereal. It will seem like there is not enough chocolate- keep stirring, there is plenty!
Next you need to coat the chocolate covered Chex cereal with powdered sugar. I prefer to spread the chocolate coated cereal on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also just do it on your counter and use parchment paper or even aluminum foil. This makes it easier to toss the powdered sugar on the cereal, making sure it gets evenly coated. You can keep it in your bowl if desired.
Muddy Buddy Mix-Ins
Muddy Buddies can have yummy things added in if you wish. For this S’mores Muddy Buddies snack mix, I wish! Add-ins are a must to make this a legit s’mores snack mix.
I like to add in milk chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers to make this snack mix jam packed with traditional s’mores flavors.
Marshmallows for S’mores Muddy Buddies
Marshmallows are a must for s’mores. Usually a marshmallow is roasted to a golden brown (or crispy black if that’s your jam) over a campfire. But no campfire is needed for this S’mores snack mix. Just toss in some miniature marshmallows.
The Chocolate for S’mores Muddy Buddies
If you are making a s’more, you have to have Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bars. So for this S’mores snack mix, I of course add in Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bars. I break mine into pieces, and leave some whole too!
I also like to add in some more milk chocolate chips. This is totally optional. but I love chocolate, so I add more!
NOTE: If you prefer semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate, you can this type of chocolate in place of milk chocolate.
Graham Crackers for S’mores Muddy Buddies
Graham Crackers are always used to sandwich in the melty roasted marshmallow and milk chocolate when you make a s’more. For this S’mores Muddy Buddies Snack Mix I use Golden Grahams cereal (not getting paid to promote this). The cereal is light and crunchy with a perfect golden graham cracker flavor.
I also like to use regular graham crackers, broken into pieces for an additional layer of graham cracker flavor. This is totally optional. You can use both, or choose one. I use 2 sheets of graham crackers and break them into pieces.
Mix It Up to Enjoy!
All you have to do is mix up all of your add-ins. You are ready to enjoy this yummy, easy S’mores Muddy Buddies Snack Mix. It really is the perfect summer treat. It is easy to make and perfect for BBQs, picnics, movie nights, a pool treat or just because you are craving s’mores! And the best part is no campfire is needed to get a yummy s’mores treat!
S’mores Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 (11.5 oz.) package Milk Chocolate Chips (or package similar in size) *semi-sweet is fine if preferred
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
S'mores Muddy Buddies Add-Ins (these are just suggestions- you can pick and choose which ones you like, or add them all)
- 4 (1.55 oz. each) Hershey Chocolate Bars
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (in addition to those needed above) *semi-sweet can be used
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 2 sheets Graham Crackers *total of 8 crackers broken apart
- Measure your Chex cereal and put it in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the package of milk chocolate chips. Stir it the entire time so it doesn't scorch and burn. Once the chocolate is smooth, creamy and fully melted remove from the heat.
- Pour the melted milk chocolate chips over the Chex cereal. GENTLY mix the chocolate in with the Chex cereal, making sure you don't crush the cereal. Keep mixing it until the Chex cereal is covered in chocolate. Try and mix it as evenly as possible – not all of the cereal will be fully covered and that is ok.
- Add the powdered sugar to the chocolate covered Chex cereal and mix well (gently). **I prefer to do this on a piece of parchment paper on my counter or on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread the chocolate covered Chex cereal out on the parchment paper and then add the powdered sugar. Gently mix the cereal making sure it gets covered in the powdered sugar. Mixing it out of the bowl makes it easier to get the chocolate covered cereal evenly covered in powdered sugar.
- Break your chocolate bars into pieces. I prefer to leave some whole and then break up some into pieces. You can break them up or leave them whole, or do some of both. Add them to the powdered sugar/chocolate cereal.
- Add your additional chocolate chips to the mix. You can add more or less as desired.
- Add your miniature marshmallows to the mix. You can add more or less as desired.
- Add your Golden Graham Cereal to the mix. You can add more or less as desired.
- Break up the graham crackers and add them to the mix. You can add more or less as desired.
- Mix it all up. Enjoy!