The Best Garlic Bread is easy to make and leaves you with a perfect crunchy, chewy garlic bread! It makes the best side dish!
I can think of nothing better than a loaf of fresh French Bread smeared with a soft butter spread seasoned with garlic, parmesan and basil. Yes, your mouth is probably watering just thinking of it, and for that, you are welcome (insert winky face)! You can even use this delicious butter spread for baked potatoes, fresh steamed or grilled veggies or grilled steaks or chicken!
I love a fresh slice of crispy, chewy garlic bread! It is the perfect side for a grilled steak, chicken, soup, pasta, or really anything!
Sure you can buy a loaf of pre-buttered garlic bread at the store, but why? This tastes SO MUCH BETTER!! Just grab a fresh loaf of soft French bread, butter it up with this delicious butter spread, wrap it in foil (or don’t if you like it extra crispy) and grill your bread along with your steaks, or pop it in the oven!
THE BUTTER SPREAD
This Garlic Bread really is all about the butter spread. It is simple but full of flavor!
It is made with butter, softened, almost melted but not quite all the way. You want it to be soft to stir in the seasoning but not melted or won’t be easy to spread on your bread (it will just soak right in).
The seasonings are garlic powder, garlic salt (yes you need both for the perfect garlic flavor), onion powder, dried basil, and parmesan cheese.
This parmesan cheese does not need to be the fancy wedge that you have to grate. I prefer the plastic bottled parmesan cheese because it doesn’t melt as good as freshly grated, and I like this for Garlic Bread.
It is easy to make. Just mix all of the seasonings and parmesan cheese into the softened butter!
SLICING THE BREAD FOR THE SPREAD
I always slice my loaf of bread lengthwise, so I have 2 long loaf halves of bread to spread the butter on. Cut your bread, and spread the butter!
You can also slice the entire loaf of bread into slices and butter each slice. This takes way too much time, so I never do it this way!
COOKING THE BREAD
Do you like crispy, crunchy garlic bread or a softer, chewier bread? If you like it a bit softer, than you will need to wrap your loaf of buttered bread in foil and make sure it is sealed tight. This will help keep it soft. If you like it crispier and the crust crunchier, than throw that baby right on the grill, or your oven rack, sans foil.
When wrapping your bread in foil, do not wrap each half separately. Put the loaf back together so it’s like you never cut the loaf. Wrap the entire loaf- not each half! You do not want the foil touching the buttered surface of the bread.
GRILLING THE BREAD
Heat your grill over medium heat.
FOIL WRAPPED: Place your foiled bread right over the heat and reduce heat to medium-low. Let the bread cook for a good 8-10 minutes, then open the foil and see if it is done to your liking and make sure the butter is melted. Let is cook a bit longer if needed.
NOT FOIL WRAPPED: If you aren’t going to wrap your bread in foil, then place each half, buttered side up, directly on the grill over medium-low heat. It should be done in about 8-10 minutes, maybe sooner. Watch it closely until it is done to your liking!
COOKING THE BREAD IN YOUR OVEN
Heat your oven to 425 degrees.
FOIL WRAPPED: Place the foiled bread right on the oven rack and let it bake for 10 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes. Make sure the butter is melted and the bread is done to your liking. Let it bake a bit longer if needed.
NOT FOIL WRAPPED: If you want it cruncher and crisp, lay each bread slice (buttered side up) directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet, and let it cook for about 8-10 minutes or until it is done to your liking. Check it often as your oven may cooker faster than mine, and you don’t want it to burn!
Once the bread is cooked to your liking, cut it into pieces and enjoy!
This butter spread is not only delicious on garlic bread, but is yummy on baked potatoes, steamed or grilled veggies, a grilled steak or chicken, or in mashed potatoes!
The Best Garlic Bread is easy to make and leaves you with a perfect crunchy, chewy garlic bread!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST POSTS!
- Fast and Easy BBQ Baked Beans
- Heart Shaped Breadsticks
- The Best Pot Roast in the Oven
- Butter Ranch Pretzels
- Sheet Pan Pizza
- Easy Slow Cooker French Dip
The BEST Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp basil leaves (dried seasoning)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Alumimun Foil for wrapping *I prefer Heavy Duty
- Slice your loaf of french bread lengthwise in half.
- Mix the seasonings and parmesan cheese with the softened butter.
- Spread the butter spread evenly on both loaves.
- Put the loaves back together and wrap in foil. (The foil should not be touching the buttered surface of the bread).
- GRILLING: Heat your grill on medium heat. Place the foil wrapped bread over the heat and reduce heat to medium-low. If not using foil, place each loaf of bread separately on the grill (buttered side up). Watch it closely if not wrapped in foil- it will cook fast! If foiled, let the bread cook for about 10 minutes. Check to see if the butter is melted and that it is done to your liking. Cook a little longer if needed.OVEN: Heat your oven to 425 degrees. If not using foil, place the butter halves (butter side up) on a baking sheet right on oven racks. Cook for about 8-10 minutes. If foiled, place the loaf of buttered bread right on the oven rack and cook for 10 minutes. Check the bread at the 10 minute mark to see if it is done to your liking. Cook for a few more minutes if needed.
- Once the bread is done to your liking, slice each half and enjoy!