Creamy Baked Chicken is a simple home cooked meal that is easy to make. Baked chicken in a savory, creamy sauce served over cooked rice (or with mashed potatoes) makes a comforting dinner you are sure to enjoy!
Even picky eaters will love this baked chicken dish!
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Bake
You will need simple ingredients for this creamy chicken bake.
Chicken breasts (make sure they are even in thickness so they cook evenly), cream of chicken soup, cream of chicken mushroom soup, seasonings, lemon juice (optional) and cooked rice for serving (or mashed potatoes) are what you need to make this creamy chicken bake.
This recipe takes about one hour total time. It will take about 10 minutes to assemble the dish and then another 40-50 minutes of baking time.
Depending on the size of your chicken pieces and how many will fit in your 9×13 pan, you will get typically 6 servings. If your chicken pieces are smaller you can fit about 8 pieces in the baking dish.
We serve this Creamy Chicken Bake over cooked rice or mashed potatoes. You can serve this with a side salad, some homemade rolls, breadsticks, or a steamed veggie.
You do not have to use canned cream of chicken and canned cream of mushroom soup. You can make homemade cream soups and add in the same amount as the recipe states.
A 9×13 baking dish/pan is needed for this recipe. Anything smaller will not work and you will not be able to fit as many chicken pieces in it. You can use a larger baking dish, just make sure it has high sides so the sauce doesn’t spill over while baking. Do not use a rimmed baking sheet – the sides aren’t high enough.
What Type of Chicken to use for this Creamy Chicken Bake Recipe
I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this chicken bake recipe.
Make sure the chicken is even in thickness so it will cook evenly.
If the chicken breast is thicker on one end, then pound it out to even thickness. I cut the chicken breast in half where it is thicker and then pound out the thicker part, making 2 pieces of chicken instead of one big piece.
For this recipe you will typically get anywhere from 6 to 8 servings (6-8 pieces of chicken). How many you end up with will depend on the size of the chicken, which will determine how many will fit in your baking dish.
You can squish the chicken in pretty tight in the baking dish and it will cook just fine. Just make sure they don’t overlap.
Seasonings for Creamy Baked Chicken
What sets this apart from other creamy baked chicken recipes? The seasonings are simple and delicious!
A lot of the recipes you will find just add the canned soup and call it good. We want flavor to develop and make the canned soups taste a bit better, so seasonings are needed.
You will need garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and black pepper and some lemon juice.
Lemon juice is optional but it adds a depth of flavor that you can’t describe but it’s noticeable.
Making the Creamy Baked Chicken
This Baked Chicken recipe takes just a few minutes to throw together!
In a medium sized bowl add your canned soups and seasonings.
After adding the ingredients to a bowl, mix it all up. Adjust the seasonings to your liking before assembling the dish in the 9×13 pan.
Grease your 9×13 baking dish (or whatever size dish you have – see FAQ above for info about the pan).
Pour half of your creamy sauce into the bottom of your baking dish and spread it out on the bottom of the pan.
Add the chicken to the sauce (you can squeeze as much chicken in the pan as you can without it overlapping).
Then, top the chicken off with the remaining creamy sauce.
Baking the Creamy Chicken Bake
Cover the baking dish with foil. It will bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-50 minutes. I just keep mine in the oven for the full 50 minutes and it’s always down perfectly.
Make sure the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Check the center most piece of chicken in the thickest part.
Serving Creamy Baked Chicken
Cooked rice is delicious with this Creamy Baked Chicken. I cook the rice while the chicken is baking in the oven.
You can also serve it with mashed potatoes, or even a cooked pasta.
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Yummy Carrot Cake
- Creamy Baked Chicken
- Easy Peppermint Dip
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
- Oven Baked Tacos
Creamy Baked Chicken
- 9×13 baking dish see notes
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into large pieces *make sure they are all even thickness – see notes
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder *or more to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika *or more to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder *or more to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice *optional
- 1/2 tsp salt *or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper *or more to taste
- cooked rice, for serving (or mashed potatoes or cooked pasta) *not included in nutritional calculations
- Preheat your oven to 350℉. Grease your 9×13 baking dish.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add your creamed soups and seasonings. Mix well. Adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Pour half of the creamy mixture into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly in the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken breasts in the sauce – make sure they do not overlap.
- Pour and spread the rest of the creamy sauce mixture on top of the chicken and make sure all of the chicken is covered with the sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165℉ internal temperature.*Check the temperature of the center most piece of chicken in the thickest part. My chicken is always done (and not dry) cooking for 50 minutes.
- Serve the creamy baked chicken over cooked white rice or mashed potatoes. You can serve this chicken dish with a side salad, rolls, breadsticks or steamed veggies.
- A 9×13 baking dish is needed. You can use a larger baking dish but do not use a smaller one or the chicken and sauce will not fit. Make sure your baking dish has high sides. A rimmed baking sheet will not work.
- Make sure your chicken is the same thickness so it will cook evenly.
- Pound out any pieces that are thicker. I cut my chicken breasts into pieces to get more servings.
- You can see the size of chicken pieces in the photos above in the blog post.
- Typically you can get about 6 pieces of chicken from the 1 pound of chicken if you pound it out and cut it into pieces. You could get up 8 pieces of chicken depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- You can squish as many pieces of chicken into your pan that will fit, as long as they are not overlapping.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and should only be used as an approximation.