Cilantro Lime Rice is a perfect rice to compliment all of your Mexican dishes. It is soft and fluffy and full of flavors from fresh lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro!
If you live in Utah you know of the fresh made-to-order Mexican restaurants that serve fresh salads, burritos, tacos and enchiladas. You are also aware there are a million recipes out there to make the delicious fresh dishes at home! And guess what? Here is another one! This recipe is like so many out there, so I won’t tell you this one is the best…I will just tell you this is the one we love when we make salads and burritos!
This rice is all you need to accompany your Mexican dishes. This is a rice that is full of flavor but it is a subtle flavor that won’t over power your dish. The taste is amazing; it tastes a bit more light and fresh with flavors that are perfectly blended. I love Mexican rice and all of the rich and robust flavors it has, but Cilantro Lime Rice is perfect with its flavors. It has a hint of lime, that is a bit sweet mixed with the flavors of fresh chopped cilantro and a touch of Mexican flavor with the cumin. Cilantro Lime Rice will compliment your Mexican dishes instead of being the star of the show. It is perfect stuffed in burritos, added to salads, or as a side to a Mexican dish.
Making Cilantro Lime Rice- The Rice
This rice is easy! It has a few more steps than regular rice or minute rice but it turns out amazing!
You need to use long grain white rice. This rice is basic and has no subtle aromatic flavors like basmati or jasmine rice.
Making the Rice – The Flavor
You will cook the rice in some chicken broth and a little water with some minced garlic and butter. This just makes the rice have a little more flavor instead of cooking it in regular water.
While the rice is cooking mix the lime juice, sugar and chopped cilantro together. You will wait and add the cumin to the cooked rice, so don’t add it in with the lime and cilantro. You can adjust the lime juice, cilantro and cumin after it is mixed in the rice.
After the rice cooks you will add in a mixture (that you will make while the rice cooks) of lime juice, sugar and fresh chopped cilantro. This is what gives it the delicious subtle flavors! You will finish it off with some cumin and salt to taste! The rice turns out fluffy and delicious!
We love to eat this rice in a chicken salad, but it is delicious rolled up in a burrito, or as a side (my littlest loves a side of rice with his chicken and cheese quesadilla).
For some more delicious Mexican inspired recipes, try my Easy Mexican Rice, my delicious Crockpot Mexican Chicken (it has more Mexican flavors that my Copycat Café Rio Chicken) that is perfect for stuffing burritos and enchiladas, and my tasty Red Enchilada Sauce or Green Enchilada Sauce that are great for smothering!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup white, long grain rice
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter *optional
- 1 tsp minced garlic (bottled) or 2 fresh garlic cloves minced *I use the bottled minced garlic-so much easier
- 3 tbsp cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice, fresh squeezed *or more to taste
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp cumin *add after the rice has cooked *or more to taste
- salt to taste
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the water, chicken broth, butter and minced garlic and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, give it a stir and cover. Reduce heat and let simmer on low for about 30 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, in a small bowl mix the lime juice, sugar, and chopped cilantro together.
- After the rice is done cooking, add the lime-cilantro mixture to the cooked rice and add the cumin. Mix well, fluffing the rice as you stir. Adjust the lime juice as needed and salt to taste!* you can adjust the cumin, salt, lime juice and cilantro to taste.