If you love peanut butter this no bake Peanut Butter Pie is for you! With a chocolate cookie crust, a creamy peanut butter filling and topped with peanut butter toppings this no bake pie is the perfect peanut butter treat!
What is a No Bake Pie?
A no bake pie is obviously a pie that you do not have to bake. It usually has some sort of creamy filling. This creamy filling can be made with pudding, heavy whipped cream, cool whip, a cheesecake filling and so many other things that set up without baking.
The pie crust is usually a cookie crumb crust, either homemade or store bought. Common crusts are chocolate cookie crusts and graham cracker cookie crusts.
This No Bake Peanut Butter Pie uses a store bought chocolate pie crust. (This recipe makes 2 pies).
Heavy Whipping Cream Needed
Heavy Whipping cream is so easy to mix up to get a perfectly sweet and creamy whipped cream for the pie.
I get complaints all the time of no bake pies that use heavy whipping cream in the filling and their pie has turned out runny and soupy. The problem usually is that they do not make the heavy whipping cream into whipped cream before adding it to the pie filling!
YOU CANNOT ADD HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM INTO A NO BAKE PIE STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE/CONTAINER. IT HAS TO BE MIXED FIRST TO THICKEN IT AND TO MAKE IT INTO WHIPPED CREAM! IT HAS TO BE THICKER AND STIFF TO HOLD IT SHAPE SO THE PIE IS NOT RUNNY!
The heavy whipping cream has to be made into whipped cream before adding it to the pie filling! (JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT THE FIRST TIME)
To make the heavy whipping cream into whipped cream you need to add some powdered sugar and whip it together until it is thick and forms stiff peaks. (and add some vanilla to sweeten it up.)
A hand mixer or stand mixer is easiest or you will be whisking for a long time. I use my hand mixer since I am using my stand mixer to mix the thicker peanut butter portion of the filling.
Just add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to your mixing bowl and mix it until it thickens and forms stiff peaks.
The photo below is not quite done mixing. The heavy whipping cream will get more stiff and thicker. Mix it until it stays on a spoon or fork and doesn’t slip off. It should make stiff peaks as it mixes or when you put a spoon in it and pull it out.
*If you do not mix it long enough the pie will be soupy and not set up!
The photo below is perfect! Notice how it looks thicker than the photo above and you can see stiff peaks formed as it mixes.
You can taste the whipping cream and add more vanilla or powdered sugar to taste if you want it sweeter. Just keep in mind you will be adding this to a sweet peanut butter filling, so don’t make it too sweet!
The Peanut Butter Filling
For the creamy, sweet, peanut butter filling you will need creamy peanut butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar.
The mixture will be thick so using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment is easiest.
Put all of the ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix it all together until it’s fully mixed.
Next, add the stiff whipped cream you just made.
In case you missed it above: YOU CANNOT ADD HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM INTO A NO BAKE PIE STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE/CONTAINER. IT HAS TO BE MIXED FIRST TO THICKEN IT AND TO MAKE IT INTO WHIPPED CREAM! IT HAS TO BE THICKER AND STIFF TO HOLD IT SHAPE SO THE PIE IS NOT RUNNY!
Mix the filling on the lowest setting that will mix it gently and easily-do not whip it on the fastest speed.
Mix the whipped cream and creamy peanut butter mixture until it is fully mixed and smooth. It should be thick.
Making and Chilling Easy Peanut Butter Pie
This pie filling will fill two 6 ounce chocolate (OREO) pie crusts.
Gently pour the peanut butter filling into the 2 pie crusts (divide it equally). Spread it out evenly.
*You will not add the toppings on top until it has been refrigerated and you are ready to serve the pie.
The pies need to chill to set up. Refrigerate the pies for 6-8 hours. You can also pop them in the freezer for a few hours if you need them to set up faster.
The Toppings for Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
Adding more peanut butter and chocolate is a must for this easy peanut butter pie.
The extra toppings will be added after the pie has refrigerated to set up.
You can use whatever candy bars, chocolate chips or anything peanut butter and chocolate to the top.
Mini peanut butter cups, regular peanut butter cups chopped up, and peanut butter chips is what I add to the top of my peanut butter pie.
Chop up the Reese’s in to small pieces and then add the toppings on top. Add as many or as few as you like.
Melted peanut butter can be drizzled on top or drizzle melted chocolate or chocolate sauce on top if you want it extra indulgent!
You can leave the pie without toppings too, or add toppings to one and leave the other pie without toppings.
Serving Easy No Peanut Butter Pie
This no bake pie is best served after it has set for at least 6-8 hours in the refrigerator. Overnight is even better.
When it is time to serve, top the pie with the candy bars and extra toppings and then cut and serve.
I get 8 pieces of pie, but you can get more or less depending on the size of servings.
Refrigerate any leftover pie in the fridge for up to 4 days. The crust will soften the longer it is stored in the fridge.
If you liked this recipe please take the time to leave a comment and a star rating below! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram!
Check out the latest posts from the Butcher’s Wife!
- Yummy Carrot Cake
- Creamy Baked Chicken
- Easy Peppermint Dip
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
- Oven Baked Tacos
Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- 2 (6 oz. Each) Chocolate Pie Crusts *they are basically an OREO pie crust
Creamy Peanut Butter Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Whipped Cream (for the pie filling) – do not add the heavy whipping cream to the pie filling without making it into whipped cream first
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream *has to be HEAVY whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Extra Peanut Butter Toppings (suggestions – use what you like)
- Peanut butter cups *minis or regular size cut up
- peanut butter chips
- Chocolate chips
- peanut butter pieces *like Reese’s pieces
- warmed creamy peanut butter to drizzle on top
- chocolate sauce to drizzle on top
Make the Whipped Cream FIRST! DO NOT add the heavy whipping cream straight from the container – you have to make it into stiff whipped cream before adding it to the pie filling
- In a medium/large bowl add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, mix the ingredients until the mixture becomes thicker and forms stiff peaks as it mixes. It will be thick and peaks should form and stay.*Keep mixing until it is NOT RUNNY! If it is not fully mixed to make a thicker whipped cream the pie will be runny.*See the blog post above for photos. (You can use a stand mixer for this also. I use my stand mixer for the peanut butter filling at the same time, so its easier to use a bowl and hand mixer for the whipping cream.)
Creamy Peanut Butter Filling
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the peanut butter, powdered sugar and cream cheese to the mixing bowl. Mix until fully mixed.
- Gently add in the whipped cream to the creamy peanut butter filling!REMINDER: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MADE THE HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM INTO WHIPPED CREAM BEFORE ADDING IT. SEE THE STEPS ABOVE!! YOU CANNOT ADD THE HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM TO THE PIE FILLING STRATIGHT FROM THE CONTAINER. IT HAS TO BE MIXED FIRST AND MADE INTO WHIPPED CREAM!
- Slowly/gently mix the whipped cream into the peanut butter filling, Mix it on the lowest setting, and mix it until fully incorporated.
- After the whipped cream is added to the peanut butter filling and its mixed together, equally divide the peanut butter filing into each pie crust.*Do not add the toppings until ready to serve- after it has “set up” in the fridge.
- Refrigerate the pies for at least 6-8 hours so they can set up. You can put them in the freezer for about 4 hours if you need them to set up faster.
- When you are ready to serve the pie, add the extra peanut butter toppings to the top of the pie.
- Cut the pie into desired servings and enjoy!Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days. NOTE: the pie crust will soften a bit as the days go by.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and should only be used as an approximation.