Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa is a light and fresh, healthy grilled chicken recipe you will love! The grilled chicken is topped with melty cheese and topped with avocado salsa.
The Grilled Chicken
I love grilled chicken. It is light, fresh, healthy and so easy to cook. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are easy to grill and full of flavor. I use a packet of Chicken Taco Seasoning to flavor the chicken before grilling, and this gives the chicken the best flavor to go with the salsa on top.
You will need boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this tasty chicken recipe. Make sure the chicken is fairly even in thickness. Pound it out or fillet it as needed. Making sure the chicken is pretty even in thickness ensures the chicken will cook evenly on the grill.
The taco seasoning I use makes this grilled chicken recipe super fast and easy. I use a packet of McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning.
Just rub the chicken with some canola oil or olive oil and toss the chicken breasts into a zip top bag. Pour the seasoning packet into the zip top bag and seal the bag. Toss the chicken in the bag, making sure the chicken breasts get fully covered with the seasoning. That is it…super easy!
If you do not have a zip top bag just rub the oil on the chicken and then rub the seasoning on each piece of chicken.
The Avocado Salsa
Grilled chicken topped with salsa is so good. The Avocado Salsa is the star of the show for this healthy grilled chicken. It is light, fresh and tasty. It is made with Roma tomatoes, red (or white) onions, fresh jalapeno, cilantro, avocado and some fresh lime juice. Kosher salt is added at the very end, but is totally optional.
Click HERE to get the recipe for my Avocado Salsa, or keep on scrolling to the recipe below!
Just chop your tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeno and avocado and mix it all together. Try and remove as much of the fleshly center of the tomatoes and seeds as you can.
Squeeze some fresh lime juice into the salsa and give it a good stir. (See below for the lime juicer you see in the photo – I love it!)
Sprinkle some kosher salt in the salsa and give it a stir (if desired) and the salsa is complete. It is healthy, fresh and is the perfect accompaniment for this chicken. (It is also tasty to eat as a chip dip).
Grilling the Chicken
Heat your grill to medium heat. Place the chicken on the grill and let it cook for about 10 minutes on one side.
Flip the chicken to let it finish cooking. This usually is about another 8-10 minutes depending on how thick your chicken is. Grill the chicken until the thickest piece in the center reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Just check the thickest piece of chicken in the center. If the thickest piece of chicken is 165 degrees, the other pieces should be done as well.
Top each piece of chicken with shredded/grated pepper jack cheese. You can also use cheddar cheese, a Mexican blend of grated cheese or Colby Jack cheese. Leave the chicken on the grill until the cheese has melted, then take it off the grill.
OTHER OPTIONS FOR COOKING THE CHICKEN:
You can smoke the chicken. Heat your smoker to 400 degrees and let it smoke for about 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Then add your cheese and let it melt.
You can cook the chicken in the oven. Cook the chicken on 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Then add your cheese and let it melt.
You can cook the chicken on your stove top. Just add a tablespoon of oil to a skillet and cook the chicken over medium heat, turning it after about 8 minutes. Allow it to finish cooking after the chicken has been flipped for about another 8 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Then add your cheese and let it melt.
Serving the Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
After the chicken is taken off the grill, it is super easy to serve it. Just add some fresh avocado salsa to each piece of grilled chicken and enjoy! If you want to squeeze some fresh lime juice on the chicken you can…it adds just a pop of flavor…it that’s your thing!
Make sure to get a bite of salsa with every bite of chicken!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Check out my Latest Posts!
- Creamy Chicken Bacon Pasta
- Chicken Taquitos (Rolled Tacos)
- Fast and Easy French Bread Pizza
- Easy Butter Cracker Chicken
- Homemade Chocolate Sauce
- Baked Taco Dip
Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into pieces *I usually get about 6 pieces of chicken out of 1 1/2 lbs. – you may get more or less depending on how big you cut them
- 1 packet chicken taco seasoning *see notes for alternatives
- 1 tbsp canola oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated/shredded pepper jack cheese – added after it has grilled and cooked fully *Colby Jack, cheddar or a Mexican Blend cheese works great too
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and fleshy center removed and diced
- 1 medium red onion (white onion is great too), diced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeds removed, diced small
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime *more limes if you want fresh squeezed lime juice squeezed on your chicken for serving
- sprinkle of kosher salt to taste (optional)
The Grilled Chicken
- Cut your chicken into large pieces. I usually get about 6 pieces out of 1 1/2 lbs. of chicken. Make sure the chicken is even in thickness so it will cook evenly. Pound it our fillet it if needed so it will cook evenly.
- Rub the canola oil or olive oil all over the chicken. Place the chicken in a zip top bag. Pour the chicken taco seasoning packet into the zip top bag with the chicken and seal the bag. Toss the chicken in the bag, making sure the chicken gets evenly covered. **You can also just rub the seasoning on the chicken if you don't have a zip top bag.
- Heat your grill on medium heat. Place the chicken on the grill and grill for about 10 minutes on one side. Flip the chicken and let it grill for another 10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. (You only need to check the thickest piece of chicken in the very center, if it is done, the rest is done.)**See blog post above for other ways to cook the chicken.
- Sprinkle the grated/shredded cheese on top of each piece of chicken and let it melt. Take the chicken off of the grill.
Avocado Salsa (make it while the chicken is on the grill)
- Chop/dice your Roma tomatoes, red (or white) onions, cilantro, jalapeno, and avocado. Try and remove as much of the fleshy center and seeds from the Roma tomatoes. Mix it all together and squeeze half of your lime juice on the salsa. Mix it well. Lightly sprinkle the salsa with kosher salt and mix it well (if desired). Add more fresh squeezed lime juice to taste.
- Top your grilled chicken with the avocado salsa. You can squeeze fresh lime juice on top if desired.Eat and enjoy!